oxycons? 1 or 2?

Started by bubblefizz, February 09, 2007, 09:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mary

Angie, were you reading a boro thread? You need two to do boro on a minor.

♥♥Tan♥♥

I think you can do small boro with one oxy con but the problem lies with the output of oxygen. One oxycon will melt boro but will take aaaaageeess, basically the hotter the flame the faster thick rods or boro melts.

bubblefizz

Quote from: Mary on February 10, 2007, 12:55:32 PM
Angie, were you reading a boro thread? You need two to do boro on a minor.

No Mary, i actually made the thread myself on lampwork etc.. and i asked about torches to buy for scroll work and it was between a  minnow or minor and they said i need 2 oxycons for them torches but a bobcat only needs 1.

Caroline

Angie,

i've seen your thread on LE, the problem is your question is too general, you've not said what type of glass your working with, what oxycon your thinking of using and most of the people who have answered are american's where they have many different types of oxycons

over here there's really only one oxycon thats affordable (Martin is of course a star)

and what your oxycon runs at and how many you need is affected by what type of glass you use

bubblefizz

Ah i see Caroline, i never thought of that  :D

♥♥Tan♥♥

A minor will run on one of Martins oxy  cons no problem

Marijane

My set up is a betta and oxycon.  I find it very good, but it is not as powerful as an oxygen tank.  In practice this just adds a few seconds more to heat the glass. 

Mari

BeadyBugs

That's good to hear Mari - as I must admit I'm considering getting a Minnow or Betta when I upgrade at some point over the next few months, and wasn't sure if one oxycon would run a  Betta.  I was going to prod Quinton and Martin with a stick for recommendations. ;D

HP x
Helen P

glassworks

we run our betta on an oxycon with no problems - but bottled oxy is the best move we made for the studio as we run 5 torches at full whack with no problems at all - except getting a truck to deliver new cylinders!!

;D

natch i recommend a betta - as we used a minor before, and although it was a great torch, the betta is, we believe - a better torch..

BeadyBugs

Ooo fab Quinton. :D  I'll get saving and look forward to new toys then. :D

HP x
Helen P