Sc2 shelving or not?

Started by Mand, June 06, 2008, 07:49:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee - Kilncare

Quote from: Mand on June 07, 2008, 04:39:34 PM
Thanks for that. -Spookyjewel - where did you get your kiln from? My thoughts on firing sound like yours.  I'd probably only want to batch anneal too, only get the odd stolen hour....

Lee - what sort of kiln is that one in the above pic? Is that one an SC2? Looks about the right sort of size I'd be looking to buy....
Sure looks like one to me mate

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

Amber

LittleMoo

I got mine from thekeepsakeco-co-uk on ebay ( http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Paragon-SC-2-Kiln-with-Bead-Door_W0QQitemZ8256615247QQihZ018QQcategoryZ3090QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262 ) but it's the same people as www.paragonkilns.co.uk. £539 for the SC2 with bead door, ceramic shelf, shelf posts, fibreboard, 2 year guarantee and free delivery!

GlassOcean

Mand, I got mine from Warm Glass too, mine came with a shelf thing that looks like a teracotta tile, 4 leg things and another softer tile.  When I am batch annealing my own beads (I don't do it to anyone else's!!) I just pile them up on the tile resting on the floor and they have all come out fine, but I usually do 2-6 bead kebabs resting on the leg things.

God does any of that make sense! 

fionaess

Yes it makes perfect sense.. to me at least  ;D

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

Robin

hi

a couple of extracts from www.electrickilns.co.uk:

The SC elements are embedded in ceramic fibre, an important safety feature if you like to open the door or bead door whilst you work. However, never get careless: kilns are very hot and connected to the mains.
The SC-2 series kilns heat from both sides, not both sides and the back. This minimises the front-to-back temperature difference that's common with smaller kilns.

It's very important to understand what the shelf kit consists of, why you might need a different one, and why you might need more than one:
The recommended furniture kit, included in the price, consists of one 139mm x 139mm x 6mm ceramic-fibre shelf for Art Clay and PMC: not china paint, dichroic glasses, enamels, or fused glass.
If you want to do china painting, enamelling, or glass work, you'll need a thicker shelf and four shelf posts. These come as an extra kit: one 178mm x 178mm x 15mm cordierite shelf and four 25mm x 25mm x 12mm posts.
Cordierite is a magnesium aluminium silicate that resists thermal distortion and fracture. A thick shelf, on posts, heats and cools evenly: particularly important for glass work.
Cordierite is brittle: if you drop the shelf, it'll break. It's a good idea to have spare shelves, especially if your business depends on your kiln or you're running courses.
Depending on the sizes of your pieces and the number of pieces you want to fire, three shelves can be stacked to make better use of your time: so you may want more than one furniture kit. However, remember that glass needs radiant heat and is better fired on one shelf rather than between stacked shelves.
For enamelling and glass fusing, you'll need to put kiln paper on the shelf to stop anything sticking: it's simpler and cleaner to use than glass separator. 

thx

rob