Sc2 shelving or not?

Started by Mand, June 06, 2008, 07:49:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mand

Hi

One day when I have saved my pennies and my family are heartily sick of pasta and baked beans (not together ;)) I want to buy an SC2 kiln, probably with a bead door. If I get that one, will I need shelves inside if i wanted to anneal in batches??? Husband seems to think it's not just the kiln I'd have to buy but also a load of bricks and shelf accessories. Duh? Is that correct? If so how much more and are they really necessary? :-[

Mary

You'll need the shelf if you want to fuse, rather than having molten glass right on the kiln floor, but not for plain beadmaking.

Mand

Ah! Ok thanks Mary. Not planning on fusing, (not even sure what that is!) really want to do just beads and more beads....  ;)

Amber

The SC2 comes with a ceramic shelf, some fibre shelf thingies and some propping up brick things (it's been a long day!  :D), so you shouldn't need to buy anything extra!

Shirley

Quote from: Spookyjewel on June 06, 2008, 09:39:22 PM
The SC2 comes with a ceramic shelf, some fibre shelf thingies and some propping up brick things (it's been a long day!  :D), so you shouldn't need to buy anything extra!

Mine didn't. It had one fibre shelf but not the other bits. They were listed separately. You don't need them for beads anyway.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Pandanimal

My sc2 didn't come with a shelf either. But I did buy one separately and I can now do two layers of beads when I batch anneal. I use shelf lining paper to protect the shelf.

Kaz

You need something like this to batch anneal your beads and to maximise the space and the cost

This was from a previous posting on here.
You can get this holey stuff from B&Q and cut it to fit - attempting to ensure that the holes line up  ;D
Make sure you run the kiln empty with this in before putting any beads in as a lot of oxide comes out of the metal and will discolour the beads - though they will come clean with detergent if you decide not to bother!
Kaz
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Shirley

I batch anneal mine using the bead kebab method too. You can get an awful lot of beads in in one go :)
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

turnedlight

If you have a kiln, with a bead door, you may as well anneal as you go.. I have not batch annealed yet, although I suppose I should get some fibre blanket just in case..
kathryn

Pandanimal

That "kebab" thingy does look good. I think I need to make me one of those.
I'll get my Hubbie on to to it right away.

Lee - Kilncare

One friendly piece of advice, looking at the kebab thingy shot, please be carefull when loading the SC2 in this way.

Make sure the power is turned off as the elements are not too far from the surface of the chamber walls and it would be quite easy I guess to prod a rod into the fibre wall with unpleasant results.

With a little common sense though, as I'm sure you all have, it looks a great way of getting plenty of beads in.

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

Amber

When I batch anneal, I have the ceramic shelf on the bottom of the kiln and I use the brick thingies to rest my 'bead kebabs' on.

I batch anneal at the moment because I've only been getting the odd hour here and there to make beads, so obviously can't wait for the kiln to heat up! It's also because I'm tight and would rather fill the kiln up than only put 5 or 6 baeds in it. It's whatever suits you best, really.

QuoteMy sc2 didn't come with a shelf either. But I did buy one separately and I can now do two layers of beads when I batch anneal. I use shelf lining paper to protect the shelf.

I guess I was lucky getting the extras with my kiln, then!

Mand

Thanks for that. -Spookyjewel - where did you get your kiln from? My thoughts on firing sound like yours.  I'd probably only want to batch anneal too, only get the odd stolen hour....

Lee - what sort of kiln is that one in the above pic? Is that one an SC2? Looks about the right sort of size I'd be looking to buy....

Kaz

Quote from: turnedlight on June 07, 2008, 08:56:21 AM
If you have a kiln, with a bead door, you may as well anneal as you go.. I have not batch annealed yet, although I suppose I should get some fibre blanket just in case..
Possibly, if your kiln's at home!!!
Kaz
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Vicki

I anneal as I go, but I still use the shelf, but not the wee legs ::)