silver whire where to buy from???

Started by turquoise, June 03, 2008, 10:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turquoise

Hi there, I was just wondering where are some of the best places to buy the silver wire people can use to drizzle over beads? Also what is the best type and any tips for using it correctly? Thanks  ::) ::)

www.morellobeads.co.uk

Funky Cow

I believe that you must use fine silver (not sterling) I use 0.3mm, but others may use thicker!
I got mine from an ebay seller called Celcool Ladies. Hang on I'll go and find a link (I know Palmer Metals do it too)
Cathryn xxx     

My Etsy: http://funkycow.etsy.com

Kaz

I use 0.3 too.
To use it you heat a spot on the bead and insert the end of the silver to lodge it before wrapping round where you want it, but be careful as unlike glass silver is a very good conductor of heat!
Kaz
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

TiaraHelen

You could also look at wires.co.uk  and cookson gold.  One of them does smaller quantities but I can't remember which (sadly, not the one I ordered a reel from!).

I read here on another thread that it has to be fine silver not sterling.

I love the silver wire and often melt it too much by mistake and I thought it was evaporating. Some probably does but today I also found some balls of it on my worksurface so I collected them and will try them as "fine silver frit".  Also, i guess you could snip it into tiny pieces and roll your hot beady in the pieces...

I made my first sort of imploded bead today and poked in a few bits of silver before melting down the clear, which would have looked nice if the bead hadn't cracked everywhere...never mind, ppp.
Helen x

Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth "you owe me".

Sherry Bellamy

Another thing to try is to cut the fine silver wire into shortish lengths, about 1/4 inch or so depending on thickness. Then put them on a piece of firebrick or charcoal, and hit them with a soft flame from a butane torch. They'll melt up into perfect little balls. I use these a lot in Shipwreck beads.

If I have leftover scraps of mesh I use that too....or bezel works as well. It's kind of fun to do.

turquoise

Thanks for the help there, just got some from that e. bay shop.  ;D ;D ;D

www.morellobeads.co.uk

turquoise

wire is here going to try it out this afternoon. Wish me luck  ::)

www.morellobeads.co.uk

Lush!

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

turquoise

well I have a go and it is tricky isn't it. I seemed to get through the wire really really quickly. I have put too much on and it has not melted in that well, so there are 1 or 2 bits that if you brush your finger on the bead it is a bit spiky feeling. Any advice.  ;D

www.morellobeads.co.uk

Lush!

You do have to be gentle with it - make sure its properly anchored in place first then gently melt it in.  As you've discovered, it will ball up and make little dots, but if you're really gentle with it you may be able to get lines of silver too - especially if  you're pressing. 

If you don't melt it in sufficiently it can be scratchy and will probably come off with wear.

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

turquoise

ok thanks Julie, I need to have another go next weekend. for now reports are waiting!!!!!!

www.morellobeads.co.uk