mandrel troubles

Started by turquoise, May 30, 2008, 09:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turquoise

Hi there, can anyone tell me if there are any tricks to getting the beads of the mandrels without such a huge effort? I soak them in warm water the push the bead down whilst leaning on a chopping board. Any advice would be great, thanks ???

www.morellobeads.co.uk

Kaz

Depends very much on the bead release you are using. If it is the stuff from the starter pack then it can (apparently) be like quick setting cement and you would probably do well to invest in some of the better bead release. I use Fusion from Martin and it works like a dream for me - as long as I keep it reasonably thinned down I rarely have to even use the pliers and can just twist the beads off by hand and I never soak them before removing the bead. Plus it makes the mandrels easier to clean for next time as all you have to do is wipe the remaining dry bead release off with a cloth or kitchen roll (being careful of course not to inhale the dust).
Kaz
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

turquoise

yes I have got the same stuff. I think it is way too think then, it is a real nightmare. I will try thinning it down with a bit of water ;D and see if that does the trick. Thank you.

www.morellobeads.co.uk

garishglobes

I'm using Foster Fire at the moment and rarely have to resort to pliers. It is great!
I believe soaking in vinegar can help if you really have a stuck bead - overnight if it is really stuck. If it is still stuck, I would usually reckon on it being absolutely bent on being a mandrel decoration and leave it to it.
If you have just started though, the other thing to watch out for is how hot you are getting your beads. Very hot (gloopy hot) can also cause beads to stick more than usual.

Sulis (Hazel)

Hi Turquoise,

For moderately stuck beads I tend to put the other end of the mandrel in a bench vice, keeping it upright. Hold the bead tightly and begin to twist the bead gently but firmly from side to side until it starts to give a little. keep doing that until it frees itself and you should then be able to pull it up off the mandrel.

For more firmly stuck beads, I have heard that some people put the mandrel and bead in ice (or the freezer) for a little while, which I'm told causes the steel to contract slightly and therefore can free the bead - however I haven't tried that yet.

If all else fails, learn to love your decorated mandrel, tie a tag to it and use it to mark where you've planted something nice in the garden  ;)

I'm a fan of the flame dry Fusion bead release from Martin, (a recent convert) - but I thin it with water until the consistency of single cream before use and mix it like heck!

Good luck  :)
Hazel x

TiaraHelen

I've been twisting mine off holding the mandrel with pliers, and only one ever stuck (I just broke it off to save the mandrel, as the bead was rubbish).  I have noticed that sometimes twisting the bead further ONTO the mandrel instead of trying to pull it off can help get the bead moving.

Hx
Helen x

Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth "you owe me".

June

We like FosterFire and rarely have stuck beads  ;D 

firedinglass

I add a little bit of washing up liquid to the warm water to soak mandrels, i also rub the release off right up to bead before i soak. If it's really stuck flat coke usually get's it off! good luck, there will sometimes  be one stubborn one that won't shift....

www.facebook.com/firedinglass
http://www.etsy.com/shop/firedinglass
Lisa

turquoise

lots of advice there thanks everyone. I will definately thin my bead release with a dash of water and also dig out some pliers. As for flat coke sounds good, it is also very good for cleaning the loo!!!

www.morellobeads.co.uk

Les

Quote from: turquoise on May 31, 2008, 11:50:24 AM
As for flat coke sounds good, it is also very good for cleaning the loo!!!

And people STILL drink this stuff ?? ??? ??

LOL

xxx

Amber

What everyone else said...and if it's really stuck, a squirt of WD40 often does the trick!  :)

June

I've also seen somewhere that neat toilet liquid (ie toilet duck) was good, but not tried it myself ?

garishglobes

Well that kind of makes sense, if flat coke cleans the loo well.. reversing this, I wonder what fizzy toilet duck is like?

Shirley

Quote from: garishglobes on May 31, 2008, 07:02:45 PM
Well that kind of makes sense, if flat coke cleans the loo well.. reversing this, I wonder what fizzy toilet duck is like?

I don't know, but I wouldn't try drinking it! :D
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

June