temp all over the shop

Started by turquoise, May 17, 2008, 06:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turquoise

Hi I was just wondering if this is normal. I have programed the kiln ( got a schedule off FH ) It is set at a max temp of 530 deg. However this seems to go up to 8 deg higher or lower quite often!! Is this normal or have I got a fault on the kiln?
Thanks  ;D

www.morellobeads.co.uk

Dennis Brady

We operate a half dozen kilns and they all drift up and down 2 or 3 degrees F while firing, but an 8 degree variance C is something I'd be very concerned about.  I'd definitely want to identify the cause and correct it. 

turnedlight

Is it an Sc2? And does it go too high when you ramp up? Cos they do that when you are going up a bit fast.. also, if it is an Sc2 and you're annealing beads, you could try going a bit lower - say 520?
kathryn

glassworks

if you ramp using "full" on the paragons they are quite well known for overshooting their target temp... that is why we reduce the power to ramp up at 700 if we can... however, if the temp is up and down while it is just sitting there then you need to have it checked out..

8)

Mary

Are you opening and closing the bead door each time you use it? That makes the kiln work hard to bring the temp up, then it overshoots when you close it again. I leave it open while I work. The kiln will allow for that to maintain the temp. I close it when I'm finished putting beads in.

Lee - Kilncare

It does depend on the kiln and the controller you are using.

Some controllers will "figure out" how the kiln is behaving and so after a couple of overshoots it will home in on the correct temperature very accurately. Some won't and will always fluctuate slightly and 8 degrees is not unheard of at the 500c mark.

It does also depend on door opening e.t.c. so as you can see, their are lots of variables that could cause this.

What kiln are you using?

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

turquoise

hi only just seen all of the above posts. I have an sc2 with bead door. I have it ramping up to full so may lower that as it also does it really quickly. I will keep closer eye on temp today as I think it is still going over quite a bit. Will report back ??? ??? ???

www.morellobeads.co.uk

Shirley

I think I read a recommendation to slow down the ramp for the last bit so it doesn't overshoot. There is a long thread about it somewhere on here.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

turquoise

hi there, I have slowed down the ramp thingy to 700. I have noticed the kiln is now really sticking to 510 deg. I am now a bit worried though as I have attached that mendrel rest and the bead door really looks as though it is open quite a lot, however I cannot close door any more because of the mandrels sticking out. Will this damage my kiln/beads????

www.morellobeads.co.uk

Mary

No. Your kiln will work a little harder to maintain the temp, but your beads will be fine, as long as they are not too close to the door.

Redhotsal

I had to take the mandrel rest right off my kiln as I couldn't get the bloomin door closed enough with the mandrels sticking out at the angle that the shelf forced them to be at (even with lots of "manipulation" of the shelf angle.)
Now when I open the door all the mandrels try and fall out, but at least the door closes.
The open-ness of the bead door makes a HUGE difference to the temperature stability and the annealling.
I have a Paragon Bluebird which was designed for bead annealling but to look at and to use it you wouldn't think the designer have ever annealled anything on a stick before. It's a truly rubbish design. Hope you're reading this Paragon!!

Hil

Quote from: Redhotsal on May 28, 2008, 06:18:36 PM
I had to take the mandrel rest right off my kiln as I couldn't get the bloomin door closed enough with the mandrels sticking out at the angle that the shelf forced them to be at (even with lots of "manipulation" of the shelf angle.)
Now when I open the door all the mandrels try and fall out, but at least the door closes.
The open-ness of the bead door makes a HUGE difference to the temperature stability and the annealling.
I have a Paragon Bluebird which was designed for bead annealling but to look at and to use it you wouldn't think the designer have ever annealled anything on a stick before. It's a truly rubbish design. Hope you're reading this Paragon!!

I shall be purchasing a kiln soon - hopefully - which kiln do you all recommend?

Hil x
Is there anybody out there?

www.SpaTownBeads0407.etsy.com

turquoise

yes I had had 2 mandrels fall out the other week. I have someone making a bead wrack for me hopefully this will help but the angles just don't help , my kiln temp has now shot up to 533 !!!!! odd,  dropping now though oh crumbs the temp went up to 538 this is bonkers!!

www.morellobeads.co.uk

Lee - Kilncare

Quote from: Hil on May 28, 2008, 06:51:50 PM

I shall be purchasing a kiln soon - hopefully - which kiln do you all recommend?

Hil x
Keep an eye on www.kilncare.co.uk mate or any of our distributors....we are close!

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

Hil

Quote from: Lee - Kilncare on May 29, 2008, 01:17:42 AM
Quote from: Hil on May 28, 2008, 06:51:50 PM

Hil x
Keep an eye on www.kilncare.co.uk mate or any of our distributors....we are close!

How close?
Is there anybody out there?

www.SpaTownBeads0407.etsy.com