Quick question. Smokey propane flame - bit scared

Started by GoodMonkey, May 15, 2008, 08:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoodMonkey

I have just upgraded from a HH on bulk to a GTT Bobcat.  When I turn on the propane there is an enormous amount of thick black smoke comes off the flame - this is before I turn on the oxy.  Is this normal?  When I add the oxy (oxycon) the smoke goes away (or is it still there but I cant see it?) 

It's the same hose and propane tank just switched over to Bobcat.

I'm just a bit concerned any help/advice greatly appreciated.

Redhotsal

Propane burning on its own does give off a lot of black soot - certainly with a minor burner. This is pretty normal. The propane is a dirty flame but the addition of oxygen will enable the combustion to be somewhat cleaner so, yes, it does go away as the propane is being burned more efficiently.
So it sounds fairly normal to me although I use a Minor rather than a Bobcat.

GoodMonkey

Thanks Sal - you saved my sanity again - I love you ya know  ;D

Les

I'm on a mini CC and get the same kind of dirty flame too.... it's all dead normal :)

xx

GoodMonkey

Thanks Les - it's seems to have been a huge jump for me - the flame is soooo hot and after being on a HH for a year I'm struggling a bit to get to grips with it.

Les

Aww.... you'll get there... just take your time and remember that as soon as you feel the glass running away from you with all the extra heat... just take it out of the flame for a second to let it cool a little.

I remember having to more or less re learn so many things that I took foregranted on my old HH ..... it's all good fun though ;D

Have fun with your new toy ;D

xxx

GoodMonkey

Thank you.

I think I might go and have a little practice now I feel a bit braver  ;D

Les