Glue to bond silver & glass

Started by sparrow, April 28, 2008, 08:17:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maikki

I read somewhere they are actually glueing aeroplanes together and then they are making fake nails (or whatever they are screws) that people trust to fly. So there are some hi tech glue that stands hot, cold, wet and pressure, I guess... maybe not E6000 anyway.
Maija-Leena

HedgelandsGlassLas

I'll chip in here - I use Scotchweld 3M which is a two part epoxy. It cost £23 when I started nearly 3 years ago when I first started with dichroic pendants. It is very good. I've had one thing come back to me after a year of hard use (bag/key ring) that was bounced on the floor. Cab was fine. I re glued it.

It takes a while to cure but you can speed that by putting in a cold oven and heating it to 150deg C for a half hour or so. I've tested some bails so hard they have bent and glue has still stuck - just try getting the blighters off when they've dried wonky!

Anyway - tips - (many of these already mentioned)
- mix bigger amounts than you need so you get the proper proportions of the two epoxies
- mix well and then mix again
- limit the numbers of things you are glueing to what you can do in 15 minutes
- don't put too much glue on the bail surface a thin layer will do
- rough up the cab and the bail and clean with rubbing alcohol after

-put in the oven to cure after the bail has stopped moving! I put one lot in early and they shifted

Now I am always looking for alternative glues so I can understand that you might not want to spend £23+ on it. I don't know how many cabs you are planning to do but I've done hundreds and I'm only half way through the tube despite having that sinking feeling when I have to wipe away the stuff I don't use. I only once mixed the exact amount of glue I needed but it was a bigger lot than I normally glue in one go.

You have to be prepared for failures. I had one whole tray bounce on the carpet once and most of the bails popped off! This was before a show - I was glad it happened when I still had them. I knew why it had happened too. I'd got lax in my methods (was an old hand already!) so I am extra careful all the time now.

Hey - wake up you guys!

fionaess

I spoke to my friend and he uses the same glue  Scotchweld 3M - so now you have 2 recommendations :)

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

sparrow

Well, I bit the bullet and bought a two-part epoxy thing (not scotchweld, though, I think). I glued my sisters birthday present and cabs to clip-on earrings for a friend - both are under strict instructions to tell me if anything goes wrong.
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

jazzylily

I use Aradite (two part and clear) never had a problem and is easlily avilable and cheap!
Tip when using - I mix the two part of glue with a cocktail stick on a sheet of glass
then use the cocktail stick to apply the glue to the silver findings.

Good luck
PAULINE

www.jazzylily.com