Recycling old cans of MAPP gas

Started by TiaraHelen, April 27, 2008, 06:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TiaraHelen

The way I'm going through these MAPP canisters, it won't be long before I upgrade to some sort of bulk arrangement, but till then, does anyone know how to recycle the empties (or even dispose of them safely)?
It seems terrible to just throw them away...

In the meantime, it's quite sweet to have row of empties as a sort of testimony to my new passion (husband rolls eyes and makes tsk tsk noises "they're only little trinkets ..." )
Helen x

Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth "you owe me".

glassworks

LOL.. take em back to your supplier methinks - this is a GOOD question, because we also built up a stash of empties which i eventually just had to take to the dump?..

;D

garishglobes

As long as you aren't taking lots and lots at a time, in which case you start to look like a business and they'll try to treat you as such (and charge you!), I believe the local tip/"recycling centre" should take them. They certainly will up here! And the canisters are obviously able to be recycled, because quite often when you look at them, they are a bit dog-eared at the edges!

Amber

My local recycling centre takes them.

I only got six cans of Mapp lined up before I got fed up...switch to bulk, you'll never look back!

Redhotsal

I doubt any supplier is enlightened enough to accept empty cylinders at this point - none of mine were.

You shouldn't throw them away in your normal bin - even though it is allowed it's not really safe. Same as you shouldn't really throw away batteries (even though everyone does.) They'll all end up in landfill. Frankly my conscience doesn't allow me to do this.

So - it's best to take them directly to your local dump - um, sorry, Recycling Depot where there is a section for gas bottles. And if the guys that work there are TRULY into recycling, they'll let you have a couple of the thousand odd propane cylinders that are languishing there for when you upgrade to bulk propane. PLEASE do this as soon as you can - you'll save a stack of money, it's better from a convenience and even a "green" point of view (as Mapp cylinders are high in "FUEL MILES") and you'll barely notice the difference. Honestly. It'll cost you about £100 to do this from Martin Tuffnell and you can take your regulator and flash back arrestor across with you when/if you upgrade to a bigger torch saving you about £70.

Mapp cylinders are refillable I believe but they don't do this in this country. All the Mapp gas you see is usually imported from the States (Weller and Bernzomatic) or Rothenberger (Germany). So the cylinders have to go back there (if they can be bothered) - hence the high "fuel miles" comment. And - yes, I tried this line of attack - you won't get anything bigger than those little cylinders for Mapp gas within the UK although I understand you can buy Mapp in bulk in the States (don't quote me on that though).

julieHB

Hi Helen,

As said above, take them to the recycling depot, I think they have a duty to take them, even if they cannot be recycled (as with batteries).

I only started bead making about a month ago, and bought 2 mapp cylinders before upgrading to bulk. At the recycling centre I could pick up a 6kg propane cylinder for £10, I believe other places you get it cheaper (check out freecycle as well).  For about 13-14 Mapp cylinders you've got yourself the kit from Martyn and propane to last you for many weeks.

Another reason to upgrade is that the mapp cylinders cool down as you work, and quicker and quicker as you spend the gas, meaning the flame gets cooler and cooler d/t reduced pressure.  I felt I had to rush to finish a bead.  With bulk propane you have all the time in the world, and to me it made a huge difference.

Good luck!
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr