Nortel Minor or GTT Bobcat?

Started by Ancasta, April 21, 2008, 01:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ancasta

Quote from: julieHB on April 28, 2008, 07:34:52 AMyou may want to check out Corina's torch review (it's subjective, but she has a lot of experience..)

Interesting reviews, thanks for that! ;D

Everyone will have their own preference which is why I thought a neutral comparison would help, such as flame size, oxygen needed etc. Judging by the threads on the Flamework Etc site amongst others a comparison list is often asked for. However, setting up the different torches at the Flame Off was an excellent idea although I didn't have time to try out the all the ones I was interested in  :-\

turnedlight

Just to pick up the thread again, I was reading this http://www.glassbeadmakers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3321&st=0&sk=t&sd=a with interest.. I still can't decide what I want though! I am leaning towards the bobcat, but I am worried about it getting dirty all the time, and sending it back for cleaning..
I'm wondering if Beadysam has had any of the reported problems? Or maybe it's just swings and roundabouts.. I might just give up trying to make an informed decision and go with the prettiest ;D
kathryn

Les

Quote from: turnedlight on May 03, 2008, 12:44:50 PM
I might just give up trying to make an informed decision and go with the prettiest ;D

Spoken like a true girlie ;D ;D ;D ........... yaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy !!!!!!!!!!!!

xxx

spheresofglass

I know mine is not a Bobcat, I've just bought a Cheetah... hubby was feeling guilt after his fourth Holiday this year... yes.. fourth!  and I'd just been to the flame off and seen the Cheetah in action, was telling him about it an how I might save up to buy one, he said well, get it.. tomorrow!  I only needed telling once, and did so.  I love it..  the GTT Cheetah is fab, I had a nortel minor before, and still have, its sat on my studio shelf sulking at the moment, but my Cheetah after a few teething problems (all my own making by the way!) is really fantastic... go for the Bobcat, I love this GTT Torch! ;D ;D ;D

Shirley

I wouldn't mind a bit of feedback on the Lynx, if anyone's got one :)
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Ancasta

There has been a bit of a cabinet reshuffle regarding in the torch I was offered and I am now a proud owner of a Bethlehem Minnow. I currently don't own an oxycon so I will have to borrow one to test it out and I will report back. In the meantime if anyone has or is using one I would appreciate any comments  ;D

Billie

I've been using a minnow for about a year.  I love it.  You can spot heat to pin point precision, and it's a very hot flame.  The only thing I'm find now, is that I am doing much bigger beads - 36 to 40mm lentils quite a lot, and because the flame is narrower than a minor, you do have to flash the bead back and forth/side to side a constantly to keep the entire bead hot.  You've just enough time to lay down the trunk of a tree before you need to re-heat the other end again.  I've found on the occasion I use my FIL's minor, because the flame is wider and covering more bead, I'm not moving the bead around so manically  :D  Wouldn't be without my minnow though.  EVen if I get chance to upgrade torch I'll be keeping hold of the minnow because it's great with detailed work.

turnedlight

That was quite helpful Billie, thanks! So it's bushy flame versus more precision.. and still no closer to a decision! Wonder what my DH would say to getting two..  ;D
kathryn

Billie

I think a torch is quite a personal thing.  Given the choice of a minnow or minor, I'd choose the minnow every time.  The only reason I'm considering another torch in future is so I have the option of doing some boro work and bigger sculptural pieces with soft glass.

Ancasta

That was very helpful Billie, thanks for sharing your experiences with the Minnow  ;D Its made me think though as I would like to make lentils in the future. Perhaps a splitter from the gas and setting up my HH might do the trick?