upgrading torch

Started by turnedlight, April 20, 2008, 04:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turnedlight

I know there has already been discussion on this, but the more I read, the less I can decide - I want to upgrade from my hothead, and get something that runs easily on one oxycon. I'm thinking of the bobcat - any recommendations? I want to try boro beads, but prob. nothing bigger, and also maybe get my reduction glass to work, the only concern about it is whether the flame is too narrow to be able to do the larger focals?
Any thoughts gratefully recieved! :)
kathryn

Billie

I've been trying to find the hottest torch than runs on one oxycon too so I can give boro a go now and again if I choose (I can't afford to work with boro full time), but I'm going around and round in circles too  :)

sparrow

I think it's the other way round, really - you'll get your 104 reduction glass to work on a smaller torch than you'll need for boro (she said knowledgeably, having touched her first boro rod yesterday, LOL). I know that my mega-minor is happy with all 104 glasses (it's me that messes them up ;)), but the consensus among several boro-workers yesterday was that I should stick to the thinnest tube and no fancy colours if I wanted to try boro on one oxy. Claire (Rowanberry) is on the same torch as me, but she's got two oxys to power it.....

HTH, Sabine x
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

glassworks

we run a few different torches here and i play with boro - and i have to be fair and plainly state that you should stick to 4mm'ish boro rods and make beads only if you are working with just one oxycon regardless of torch.. obivously torches WILL melt boro rods on one oxycon, but 4mm rod makes it fun, not a chore...

in terms of the torches themselves the very best advice is simply to find one who has the setup you are looking for and get their advice, or even better blag a test "drive"!..  ;D of the nortel torches we have got set up here (minor, mega minor, midrange, midrange plus) the mega minor is quite clearly the hottest on a single oxycon, as it well should be seeing as it is designed for low pressure gas use from the outset.. the hottest torch we have got running a single oxycon is the bethlehem minnow - but it has a very narrow flame (almost like a laser beam) and thus some people may not like it in general use..

i know we are dealers - but we have all the torches set up here and can test them all back to back with each other - so please take the advice above, blag yourself a test on someone's set-up!!!! the only sure way to know is to try yourself!..

where boro is concerned - jon olson made a HUGE boro tube bead using 25mm THICK wall base tube - fumed inside with his special hollows technique, using the mega minor.... we did have bottled oxy though, running about 1,5psi!..  ;D just goes to show that the oxygen, not the torch, is the limiting factor...

turnedlight

Thanks - part of my prob is that I'm not very near anyone I can really travel to within a school day, and lampworking is not something I want to interfere with family life, I just don't do it at the weekends - I wait until everyone is out! (sounds kinky!).

Sounds like Billie and I want the same thing!

I didn't know the boro was all tubes? And why not the fancy colours - cos they need even more heat to get reactions? It seems I need to find out some more.

Is the bobcat like the bethlehem minnow (in that it has a narrow flame)? I can imagine this may make it harder to keep everything warm..
kathryn

Billie

I'm on a minnow now, and the flame is pencil thin.  A pain working on anything larger than a 36mm lentil I find... it's hard keeping everything warm  :D :D :D  I tried the mega-minor at Q's a couple of months ago (it's cool - I get to go over and play every few often, while he babysits the girls) and it's a great torch.  I think, to work boro without it becoming tedious it's going to have to be a two oxycon job or tanked oxy though TBH... Grrrrrrrr!

turnedlight

Ok - I guess I'll forget about it - not only does that up the price, but what about space too? I also don't really want the responsibility of oxygen tanks at home when an oxycon will be safer.. a 36 mm minnow sounds quite big to me though! :D
kathryn

Funky Cow

I love my minnow - but never tried boro... not much help that, really  ;D ;D
But I do love my minnow  :-*
Cathryn xxx     

My Etsy: http://funkycow.etsy.com

Revontulet

I've got a minnow and a nortel minor - and am surprised at the difference in size of the flame on the minor - it's much wider than the minnow. BUT I've now got an extra oxycon and that's made a HUGE difference to both torches - I tried murrini for the first time today and built up a fish which was about 4 cm diameter before pulling - with one oxycon I couldn't have attempted that - but with 2 oxycons and the minnow it was no problem - reinforcing the point that it's the oxygen input that's the biggest factor, not the torch.
I haven't tried boro on either yet but I think either torch with both oxycons would be fine.
HTH  ;D
Dawn

turnedlight

Yes, I can see what you're saying.. poo!  :( I had been reading stuff about how these newer torches were able to achieve more on less pressure, but I think they must have been exaggerating!
kathryn

Sarah

Kathryn

You might want to try talking to Joy Helyer who makes boro beads on a minor with one oxycon. She told me its slow but very controllable.

She sells at some craft shows. I don't think that she is a member but her website is here.

Sarah
xxx

turnedlight

I'm sending her an email - thank you for the link, I'll let you know how it goes! :)
kathryn