How do you load thro' the bead door

Started by SueP, April 14, 2008, 08:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SueP

Hi

Not sure if this should be in the kiln bit but have started garaging and using the bead door and am just poking the beads in and resting them on the floor.

If I prop the mandrel on something I find the door stays open too much - is this the right way ???

Or does anyone have some hints and tips :-\

I have an SC2

Cheers :)

Lush!

Yep, the door stays open a little bit, so just be sure not to leave your beadies too close to the open door.

:)

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

LittleMoo

I'm glad you asked this Sue as I was wondering the same thing. I've put my ceramic shelf on the floor of the kiln too, just in case something goes wrong and the kiln overheats.

SueP

Yep I keep the soft fibre board thingy on there but it does mark the beads if they go in too hot which seems to defeate the object :)

I think I might try the self.  I thought I could put my mesh set up with a couple of mandrels across to sort of prop the beads against but that was no good the door was open far too much ::)

Good thing about this forum is that when you ask a question as well as getting lots of help there is always another member who is wondering the same thing ;D :)

Mary

Look back, there is another thread or two. I made a support that sits in my kiln, from perforated steel, so I can put my beads away without risking dents or sticking to each other. Lets see if I can find the pic.

Shirley

That's pretty much what I do. I've got a bead door on my kiln, so that can stay open while I work and then when I've finished I close the door down so it is sat on top of the ends of the mandrels that are sticking out.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

SueP

I have the similar version for batch annealing - just one question - Mary - do you bother with the mandrel rest? and if so how much gap in the door is OK ?  probably being a bit of a dope.  I will also scroll back through the old posts sometimes a search doesn't pick up everything - thanks ;D ;D

Shirley

I can't get the mandrel rest that came with the kiln to stay in place, so I don't bother with it at all
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Mary

I took the rod rest off the door. It's no use! I leave the bead door open while I'm working, the temp is more stable that way - if you're opening and closing it, the temp will drop and spike each time till it stabilises. Leaving it open the kiln will work harder to keep temp, but it stays stable. Then I close it down as far as poss when I finish.
Just realised that pic shows the main door open, obviously that was just for the pic!

Sherry Bellamy

I have a slightly different system, because I really don't like the kiln door open. My kiln is a Paragon Caldera, by the way.

My mandrels are about 1 1/2 inches shorter than the inside depth dimension of my kiln. Along the back of the kiln I have some strips of kiln brick material that I've carved grooves into. (You can buy this at many lapidary shops, and you can carve it with a butter knife, took me about 5 minutes).

The grooves are to rest the ends of the mandrels on, so my beads don't touch the floor, or each other. To put them into the kiln, I use a pair of large, heavy, needlenose pliers that have been drilled out with a groove that I can use to securely grasp the mandrel, even with one of my huge, heavy beads.

So the groove of the pliers runs the length of the nose, not acroos, if that makes sense. The mandrel extends straight out from the pliers. I take these to every class to use, and lots of people are making them, you just need a decent drill, and a drill bit that you're willing to pretty much sacrifice.

I like this system because I can easily place the beads deep in the kiln, and my hand stays cool, although I have to be fairly swift.  I can take pictures of this if anyone's interested.

*Edited to add:  What I'd really like to have along the back of the kiln is a bent piece of expanded or perforated stainless steel. I've been intending to get that piece of metal for 5 years now. I'm so organized.

LittleMoo

That's a good idea Sherry. Unfortunately the kiln that Sue and I both have isn't big enough to take the whole mandrel, unless it was cut down to about 6" or something  :(

I might take my rod rest off the door and make a steel rack set-up instead. The rod rest just seems to get in the way to be honest!

SueP

Quote from: LittleMoo on April 15, 2008, 08:26:27 PM
That's a good idea Sherry. Unfortunately the kiln that Sue and I both have isn't big enough to take the whole mandrel, unless it was cut down to about 6" or something  :(

I might take my rod rest off the door and make a steel rack set-up instead. The rod rest just seems to get in the way to be honest!

Yep DH has already found some more perforated steel so rod rest will be coming off the door , going to keep it open and do it like Mary.  Good advice for caldera users though  :) :)

Sherry Bellamy

My mandrels are 9 inches long, and they just fit inside the door. When I teach I'm always suprised by these giant long mandrels! One of these days I'm going to lose an eye, lol.

Lush!

I took a picture today to show you a few mandrels sticking out of my slightly-open bead door.

Hope it helps  ;D

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

SueP

Yes thanks I think I was expecting the door to close a bit more - will nag DH to make me another mesh thingy for inside and i'll be off ;D