How do you get the silver cores into beads then, eh?

Started by Mand, April 11, 2008, 04:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mand

Hi

I am perplexed. I'm also a newbie, so that will explain my question. How on earth do you get a silver core into a glass bead? ??? I haven't even got my torch and bench set up yet, but I am truly intruiged. Can anybody who has the patience of a saint explain HOW, please?  :-X

(I obviously won't be attempting this feat for quite some time as I need to learn how NOT to melt a mandrel first, and also how to make a ROUND, even bead of course.... but ya know how the mind buzzes with all those "how do they do that" questions....)(Maybe it's a good question for Des Lynam who does the programme to look into...)

glassworks

three basic ones i have heard of....

1.. the "hard" way - silver tube and dapping punches, lots of patience and tears but by far the best technique when learnt

2.. the "glue in" split silver cores, still works well enough but has issues with seams and getting things to line up

3... the "cheat" machine from some guys in the states.. saw pati demo'ing this in murano and it looks easy enough, but not as fine quality as hand beating it!!!

anyone else?...

Isabelle

I think it has something to do with swearing! And crying and tantruming - and some more swearing - and what Quinton said!

Billie

beads-on-toast

Quote from: glassworks on April 11, 2008, 05:07:29 PM
three basic ones i have heard of....

1.. the "hard" way - silver tube and dapping punches, lots of patience and tears but by far the best technique when learnt

2.. the "glue in" split silver cores, still works well enough but has issues with seams and getting things to line up

3... the "cheat" machine from some guys in the states.. saw pati demo'ing this in murano and it looks easy enough, but not as fine quality as hand beating it!!!

anyone else?...

i don't agree, and i don't think Andrea Guarino would either, it is not a cheat way, just a different way

afina

There is a machine also being developed at the moment in Germany. Really looking forward to this one!
Regards, Verena
Glasperlenwerk - My bead-site with blog (German) - http://www.glasperlenwerk.at
Vetromagic - Frit and fritblends in COE 104 - http://shop.vetromagic.at

TheJanie

Anyone have any links to these magical machines of which you speak? :)

I'd prefer to have a try at the dapping punch method (I already have all the necessary bits for this) but I'm always looking for ways to save my energy so that I can spend more time at the torch...

♥♥Tan♥♥

I have never even seen a silver core in the hand Anna but have often wondered if there is a difference between the hand method and the machine method.

Is there a discernible difference do you think?

I know the hand method takes a great deal of effort and accident, but when done properly the results are spectacular, if a machine does all that without the breakages though, it seems to make more sense

afina

Regards, Verena
Glasperlenwerk - My bead-site with blog (German) - http://www.glasperlenwerk.at
Vetromagic - Frit and fritblends in COE 104 - http://shop.vetromagic.at

turnedlight

If you look carefully at loads of cored beads (like I did) you can see the ones which have been flared using a machine.. there's often a sort of flashing on them.. I don't really know how to explain..  I was going to buy / persuade my Dad to try and make a bench press type one, and after looking at loads decided they don't look all that good. I'm planning to get around to learning the dapping punch way.. in the meantime, if anyone can correct me on the quality of the machine results, I'd be very happy cos I want one!
kathryn

TheJanie

Quote from: turnedlight on April 11, 2008, 07:07:47 PM
in the meantime, if anyone can correct me on the quality of the machine results, I'd be very happy cos I want one!

Me too!  Although I'm not sure how much of my enthusiasm is simply down to my love of tools and gadgetry... ;)

GoodMonkey

If you look carefully at loads of cored beads (like I did) you can see the ones which have been flared using a machine..  

I agree the hand cored and the machine cores have a different look to them.   This is something I have also been looking at for a long time. I want to learn the hand method as I prefer the hand cored - but thats just my opinion on what I would like to do and in no way reflects upon anyone elses practices or indeed their opinions.

♥♥Tan♥♥

Am I right in thinking that the machine cored dont fit quite as tightly as the hand cored or is that just they way the pics are taken?

GoodMonkey

Tan

As you can appreciate it's very difficult to tell from photographs and perhaps it's a disservice to the people who produce the machine cored ones - but - and this is only my view - the machine ones appear to have a edge to the silver sores where the hand cored ones are a smoother more folded over finish.

Having said that some of the 'names' in the states are raving about the machine - have a look at mango beads for some really nice examples of hand cored beads.

Lush!

If you look carefully at loads of cored beads (like I did) you can see the ones which have been flared using a machine.. there's often a sort of flashing on them.. I don't really know how to explain..  I was going to buy / persuade my Dad to try and make a bench press type one, and after looking at loads decided they don't look all that good. I'm planning to get around to learning the dapping punch way.. in the meantime, if anyone can correct me on the quality of the machine results, I'd be very happy cos I want one!

Do you use the glue-in variety then? 

It would be great to have a look at all three together .. maybe something to think about for the Flame Off  ::)

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com