Muchos Muchos Mandrel confusion!!

Started by amber0307, March 29, 2008, 10:24:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amber0307

Can anyone help?
I'm not sure what is the 'standard' size for a mandrel, i.e the most commonly used size.  I see lots of people use 3/32" mandrel - but not sure how this relates to the size sold by Tuffnell or Hamilton Taylor - I have got some of the 1.6mm x 12 " ones and there are a few other sizes in my starter pack - not sure what size they are!

???

Lush!

Most people use 1.6mm or 2.3mm mandrels, but Quinton also sells 3.2mm mandrels (which I rather like!).

I get confused when mandrels are referred to in imperial measurements (blame the Americans again I reckon!)

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Redhotsal

3/32 inch = 3 divided by 32 =  .09375 inches. To convert this to metric multiply by 25.4 which gives you 2.38mm.

So 3/32" = 2.4 mm, which is also known as "medium" and is the "standard" size mandrel.

They generally come in small, medium and large - which is a bit empirical but it only really matters when you know what you want to do with your beads. Medium sized holes tend to let small seed beads fall through....

Lush!

Quote from: Redhotsal on March 29, 2008, 10:38:46 AM
3/32 inch = 3 divided by 32 =  .09375 inches. To convert this to metric multiply by 25.4 which gives you 2.38mm.

Uh, yeah, see, I knew that  ::)

;D

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

turnedlight

I do it in mm, and then the imperial users have to work it out themselves!
kathryn

afina

Just go to google.com and type in "3/32 in to mm" and hit the "search"-button. It then says: "(3/32) in = 2.38125 millimeters"
I couldn't convert it myself...
Regards, Verena
Glasperlenwerk - My bead-site with blog (German) - http://www.glasperlenwerk.at
Vetromagic - Frit and fritblends in COE 104 - http://shop.vetromagic.at

Revontulet

I think most people start out on the 3/32" (or 2.4mm), as they're easier to use than the thinner ones, but the hole is quite large for making jewellery. I now use mostly the 1.6mm (or 1/16") as I prefer the smaller hole for making jewellery.

Dawn

amber0307

Quote from: Revontulet on March 29, 2008, 01:26:20 PM
I think most people start out on the 3/32" (or 2.4mm), as they're easier to use than the thinner ones, but the hole is quite large for making jewellery. I now use mostly the 1.6mm (or 1/16") as I prefer the smaller hole for making jewellery.

And there was me thinking it was just me finding it wasier using the thicker mandrels for starting out!! :)

turnedlight

I also found it easier to get them off the bigger ones to start with, but now I use the thinner ones quite a bit, although if they're chunky and for threading on cord, I might use the bigger ones. :)
kathryn