skinny mandrels

Started by dangerousbead, March 27, 2008, 12:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dangerousbead

I recently bought some 1/16th" (1.6mm) mandrels from Q, does anyone else have a problem with them? They don't seem to measure 1/16, I've broken my drill bit cleaning the beads with a 1.5mm bit and the end is now stuck tight in my Dremel  :'(
Do you think if I double dip them in bead release that'll increase the hole size sufficiently or perhaps I should just use them for kebabs?

Billie

I bought some from him a few weeks ago and haven't had a problem... Strange!  I dip just the once, as well.  This is probably a daft question, but the drill bit was definitely 1.5mm..??  When I clean my beads I use the bit from my hand reamer in my dremel and don't push it in very hard/all the way.

I'd suggest you email him if you think they're thinner than 1.6mm so that he knows there's a problem.  If I want to make holes slightly larged (to go on letter openers/winestoppers for example) then I do dip 2 or 3 times in bead release.

turnedlight

I use them, but I don't use a dremel, just a metal bead reamer.. if I want a bigger hole, I use the next size up.
kathryn

dangerousbead

Yes the drill bit is definitely 1.5m, and I've managed to get the broken bit out of the drill now thank goodness, that'll save the earache from DH. I could be wrong about Q's sizing.

Quote from: Billie on March 27, 2008, 12:58:10 PM
I bought some from him a few weeks ago and haven't had a problem... Strange!  I dip just the once, as well.  This is probably a daft question, but the drill bit was definitely 1.5mm..??  When I clean my beads I use the bit from my hand reamer in my dremel and don't push it in very hard/all the way.

I'd suggest you email him if you think they're thinner than 1.6mm so that he knows there's a problem.  If I want to make holes slightly larged (to go on letter openers/winestoppers for example) then I do dip 2 or 3 times in bead release.

Billie

I haven't looked at the shop in a while, but I don't think he sells thinner than 1.6mm  It's really strange that the bit got stuck.  Glad you got it out  :)