At what rate does your kiln heat up?

Started by Lush!, March 09, 2008, 10:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lush!

My SC3 was pre-programmed by Quinton (and its just fab, thanks Q!): Ramp 1 700c per hour - so it takes the best part of an hour to reach 500C. 

I was wondering if its possible to speed up the first step at all?

I've had a look through the manual but it makes my eyes cross ... so I thought I'd ask how long other people's kilns take to heat up garaging temp?

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Ilona

I change mine to suit, depending on how long I have to play.  You could put it on full, just go onto the 500 and press the up arrow until it reads full, then scroll through as normal.

I have also started doing this when I have more time to play with and my time as nearlly run out.

beads-on-toast

Same here, ramp to full and it will be ready in about 10 minutes

Miriam

If I start I ramp up full to garaging temperature (500C). After I am finished I don not ramp full to 520C, because you can overshoot to more than520C. If you program ramp from 500 to 520C with 100C per hour, the controler "knows" to slow down before
it reaches 520 and the temperure will not overshoot.

groetjes Miriam

Blog | Website | Colorcharts | Glasss

glassworks

the only reason we set the ramp to 700 is to avoid overshooting the temp.. as they have said already you can easily change this to "full" and it will get up to 500 really quickly... it will overshoot but if you are in a hurry this is of no concern - just make sure it has evened out to 500 before you start putting beads in otherwise you run the risk of marking or slumping your work if it goes in too hot..

Isibeads

Hello

we use a "little Trick" at our kilns to rise up speed without oveshooting the 500 degrees.

I think you can use this also:

1st ramp will go with full speed to about 450 degrees and thereafetre the second ramp with 250 degrees per hour to 500.

This affects, that after reaching 450 degrees, the heating elements are stopped and the kiln "shots" to about 490 degrees (depending of different models you could optimise the value of 450)

As thereafter the second ramp will go not so fast, the right temperature will be reched in some minutes.

Hoping that my translation from German will bo correct  ;D ;D

Best Regards
Gert

Billie

Mine is programmed as per Q's, and reaches temp in about 25 - 30 minutes.

Lee - Kilncare

Quote from: Isibeads on March 10, 2008, 06:39:55 AM
Hello

we use a "little Trick" at our kilns to rise up speed without oveshooting the 500 degrees.

I think you can use this also:

1st ramp will go with full speed to about 450 degrees and thereafetre the second ramp with 250 degrees per hour to 500.

This affects, that after reaching 450 degrees, the heating elements are stopped and the kiln "shots" to about 490 degrees (depending of different models you could optimise the value of 450)

As thereafter the second ramp will go not so fast, the right temperature will be reched in some minutes.

Hoping that my translation from German will bo correct  ;D ;D

Best Regards
Gert
That's the way to sort it Gert. You got it bang on ;)

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732