Stringer control...

Started by Amber, March 09, 2008, 03:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amber

...or not, in my case! I try to avoid using stringer unless I have to, but this goddess needed hair;

I reckon she should sue the hairdresser! Whenever I try to apply the stringer, especially over an uneven surface like this, it keeps on splitting in half or just doing it's own thing, landing wherever it wants. I'm keeping the stringer out of the flame, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I just can't control it!  :o :P

Help!

turnedlight

LOL you have to turn the heat right down, and work where it's only just warm enough! I'm by no means an expert, but I'm practising.. I have a hot head, I don't know if it's easier on other torches..
kathryn

Soo

I was just the same only a few weeks ago, even now I can only do lateral spirals round beads with any degree of competency at the moment. I'd like to be able to do a spiral side-on (does that make any sense?) I use the Corina method and leave the torch (mine is a HH) on the same setting but work to one side of it.

Basically it took lots and lots of practice to find how far away to go and how hot the bead needs to be. My aim was to get a bead like the one on these earrings:

I pulled loads and loads of stringers out of Rubrina Rubino Ora. I was using a very very light shade of pink glass as the base bead (sorry I don't have the number, it came as one of a mixed bag from Martin) and then I just tried to apply the spiral in an evenly spaced spiral.

However, when it went almost right or nearly right but maybe a little bit wobbly or the spiral coils weren't even, I just melted the stringer in and still got an interesting looking bead. (see photo below). This way I didn't feel too bad or get too frustrated.

Kaz

Looks like you've mastered it well and as you say the ones where you have melted in are lovely in their own right anyway! Yummy colours! :)
Kaz
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!