Tornados

Started by beadammed, March 08, 2008, 11:19:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beadammed

Hi folks,
Can anyone tell me how you can get the encased tornado effect?  They are really puzzling.
Geraldine
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/strikingglassstudios

Redhotsal

Do you mean this?

If so, it's actually quite easy.

1) Start with a skinny barrel in the "tornado" colour
2) Put rings of clear around the barrel - make sure they don't touch - alternatively trail a spiral of clear around the barrel like a screw thread or helter skelter.
3) Gently melt the clear into the barrel. Don't marver,
4) Encase the whole bead.
5) I squashed this bead to exaggerate the spiral effect but you can leave it round.

mariag

Ooooh Sal that's loverly ;D

♥♥Tan♥♥

Blimey Sal that is one sexy mutha of a bead, is that what you meant beadamned?

Sarah

Quote from: tanok on March 08, 2008, 04:38:46 PM
Blimey Sal that is one sexy mutha of a bead

What she said   :o :o :o

flowerjasper

what is the barrel colour sal? its lovely,

Redhotsal

Thanks everyone,
The barrel colour is CIM clear pink (don't know what it's real name is). I've covered that with faux boro - reichenbach iris gold over effetre straw yellow.
Then the encasing is bog standard vetrofond scummy clear.

beadammed

Yep that's it.  The effect is stunning that bead in particular is gorgeous.  Thanks for that.  I'm still at the placing dot-stage on my new minor but maybe one day....... :P
Geraldine
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/strikingglassstudios

Redhotsal

Maybe you should have a go Geraldine...it's one of those techniques which gives a really good result and you don't have to be 100% accomplished at it. May actually be easier than placing dots.

Soo

I'm so glad I saw this thread, I have been wondering how to make these for ages! Thank you Sal

Ancasta

Wow  :o What a stunning bead Sal!

Is that the same stuff known as Raku in America? Must get some of it in fine frit and experiment, I've seen that it can be achieved in milder colours on a HH torch, although I won't be trying it till I learn to use the HH properly first  :P

Redhotsal

Hi Anacasta,
It is the same manufacturer Reichenbach but it's not Raku - which is Iris Orange. You need Iris Gold (looks exactly like brown sugar in frit form). Mix Iris Gold with Effetre Straw Yellow and try it over different colour bases - I used amethyst pink. This is the "Faux Boro" effect.

Kaz

Thanks Sal for these really helpful instructions - I have been dying to have a go at one of these too. Will play this weekend. And for the instructiuons about the faux boro effect.
Cheers
Kaz :)
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Ancasta

Thank you for those details  ;D
I shall have a go in the future with this but don't think it will look as lovely with a HH torch. I'll probably produce a brown mass!

saffie

such simple explanation for a gorgoeus effect and bead never realised it was that simple. Mind you saying that i haven't had a go yet!!!! thanks for heads up Sal now it has been demystified i can attempt it!!!