Glass Cutter ??????

Started by Bluebottle, February 29, 2008, 04:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluebottle

Hi guys, can anyone tell me the best type of glass cutter to use for making fusing bits there seems  to be quite a bit of choice out there  TIA

Mike   ;D

dinah46

Zeldazog

I'm same as Dinah, I use the Toyo one - I don't get on with the pistol grip very well either, I find I seem to have less control with it - also, if you use the "tapping along the score line" breaking method, the standard cutter is far better for this (although I don't like this way).

Last year, we had a couple of students with disabilities, and they found the pistol grip easier to use if you are sitting down.

Sarah

Shirley

Is that the best thing for cutting the dichro I bought for beads?
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

julieHB

Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

Funky Cow

Cathryn xxx     

My Etsy: http://funkycow.etsy.com

fleurbrawl

I use a Toyo too, when Kay lets me :)
Think i'll be getting told to buy my own before too long.
Kays' OH :)

2B or not 2B, that is the pencil.

Fabienne

This might be a stupid question but would a glass cutter from Homebase be Ok to use. What is the difference?

Fabienne
x

Zeldazog

Not a daft question - but it does depend on the quality of the glass cutter - the Toyo has a hollow body which you refill with cutter oil.

I would also make the comment that DIY store glass cutters are probably designed for cutting normal window glass, greenhouse glass, etc - float glass is very smooth - if you're dealing with Bullseye (and I guess Spectrum) for fusing, then it has a texture which makes it a little harder to cut - so a good quality glass cutter makes your life a whole lot easier!

Incidentally, if you order a cutter on its own from Warm Glass, its postage free (even if its not your first order), if that helps anybody when considering price.

The only other glass cutters I have ever seen were either a lot more expensive, or no where near as good for the money.  I did stained glass a few years ago, and I don't think the Toyo was around then - we used expensive, but good quality cutters that cost around £35.

greenbeadenvy

I use a K Star cutter and wouldn't use anything else but then I am a glass snob LOL. For me quality of the cutter does count but I do think that just for cutting dichro bits and glass bits to melt then any cutter will do. A little tip for all who use oil filled cutters.....fill your cutter with oil and then empty it back in the bottle. There will still be enough oil in your cutter to last ages, but it will cut great(I prefer the balance of it too) and there will be no risk of too much oil spilling out. If you're cutting glass for fusing or melting in the torch this is a deffo 'must do' in my book, after all who wants to spend all their time cleaning the glass of oil before fusing? Not I ;D
Emma xx

Zeldazog

That's a great tip with the oil, Emma, I hadn't thought of that.

But why is having a K Star snobbish, please do tell?

Fabienne

...thanks for the info but what oil would you us?
Fabienne
x

Zeldazog

You can buy special cutter oil from Warm Glass, Creative Glass Guild, no doubt Tempsford Stained Glass, etc, but a light oil like sewing machine oil will do the trick too.

Zeldazog

Just come across this

http://www.artglassco.co.uk/STAINED%20GLASS%20SUPPLIES%20SHOP.html

Dunno if they are any good, but for £8 delivered, they might be worth a go for anybody who only wants to cut glass on rare occasions.