Re: Pixie Dust Show & Tell - SHOW US WHAT YOU GOT!!

Started by Pegasus, November 30, 2010, 02:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pegasus

COME ON THEN......SHOW US WHAT YOU'VE MADE USING PIXIE DUST!  ;D

Ok, try this then.
Make a bead, use 2/3 colours to decorate the surface, maybe rake all your colours so they look all swirly. Shape your bead then let cool. Heat up your bead so the surface is as hot as you can get it without losing your shape then plunge the bead into your container of HIGHLIGHT PIXIE DUST. Gently roll your bead around in the PD but you need to press the bead firmly onto the PD as you turn. This is the tricky bit, now you don't want to distort your shape but you need to be firm so that you get a good coating of PD. One good dip is the best way to do it. Now keep your bead in the PD for a good while, 5 to 7 seconds, remember your bead was pretty hot when it went into the PD so you can afford this time. Bring out your bead and blow off the excess PD while turning the bead, do this twice & give it a good puff....! ;)

Your bead will still be quite warm so now all you want to do is very gently flash your bead in the very outer reaches of your flame. The aim here is to get some heat back into the bead without burning your PD. It won't take much to get the bead back to a temp that is high enough. Now pop in the kiln and make another bead!!!

I used DH Terranova on the first bead, a thin coating over a bit of white on a base of teal? I think. I used HIGHLIGHT PIXIE DUST GREEN on the top.

The second bead is a base of opaque turquoise with a little bit of white and raku. Also using HIGHLIGHT PIXIE DUST GREEN .

NOW GET GOING AND SHOW US WHAT YOU CAN MAKE!!! ;D

silkroad by Pegasus Lampwork, on Flickr

mysique by Pegasus Lampwork, on Flickr
~ BEV ~
www.pegasuslampworktools.co.uk      

Trudi

Gorgeous  - I've used it on plain spacer beads, now perhaps I should be a little more adventurous!!

But even plain they look very nice

Lilac Shimmer by Glittering Prize - Trudi, on Flickr

I decant my powder into those small "tester" size jam jars (I found some in Morrisons - with the jam) but it cost something like £1 for 4 and you get Jam. These are ideal sizes for most beads and keeps the powder contained!!

Trudi

Ohh - just found these encased ones

Frost Sparkler Earrings by Glittering Prize - Trudi, on Flickr

the "ribbed" finish really adds to the sparkle!

Magpie

You've seen these in the sparkly November challenge thread, black base with copper or 'diamond' sparkle powder, encased.

We got let out of school early today and I've been playing with one of the highlight ones. They're cooling at the moment, I'll post them later.

Magpie

I like this stuff, apart from the middle one which didn't stick, must have been too cold. Black and white with blue highlight powder.

Highlight pixie dust beads by HelenPetersBeads, on Flickr

Kalorlo

Here they are: pearl mica on dark steel grey. I think I might have burnt it on the reddish ones... I also put too much on for the effect I wanted.

Yellow friend

Finally managed to encase some of the glittery stuff (and not burn it out)

Shelia
www.crocosmiajewellery.com
www.crocosmiajewellery.etsy.com

Magpie

The first two are sparkle or glitter pixie dust, encased and on the surface

Pixie dust sparkles by HelenPetersBeads, on Flickr

Pixie dust sparkles by HelenPetersBeads, on Flickr
I love it encased, the bead all the way to the right is mulitcolour dark and the sparkle hides the colours so I think alot less needs to be added to get the colours showing through the sparkle. The top pic, the sparkle is on top, I think it works but needs to be a really bold pattern to show through, the first is nowhere near as effective as the other two.

Highlight pixie dusts.

Pixie dust highlights by HelenPetersBeads, on Flickr

Pixie dust highlights by HelenPetersBeads, on Flickr
The first pic I think is gold, fruit punch and either copper or bronze, I think they're highlights but the thickness they've come out suggests they could be sparkles or glitters, I'm not keen as they overwhelm the pattern on the beads. I prefer the second ones, the blue and pink beads are, I think, the pearl highlight which gives a shimmer but doesn't obliterate either the pattern or the colour underneath, I'm pretty certain the left hand bead is highlight violet, which I love, it's given just a hint of shimmery colour on the black.

Phew, that was an essay and a half.