Grrrr ... Naughty Press

Started by Lush!, February 12, 2008, 11:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lush!

I think it must be because the bead is too hot, but I keep having a problem with a couple of my presses.  The press clamps shut on the bead and refuses to open until I actually have to prise the top and bottom apart by sliding a knife inbetween.  This of course is fatal for the bead which sometimes practically explodes once I finally get it out.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!  >:( >:(

Anybody else have this problem?

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

beads-on-toast

are they straight sided presses?

I get that if i get EXACTLY the right fit, usually square and spree shapes

Lush!

Its my lentil and tile presses.

And you're right Anna, it is when I get exactly the right fit - that's what makes it super-frustrating, cos its always a really good bead!

>:( >:(

turnedlight

kathryn

Dragonfire Glass

I would use slightly less glass - you are getting too tight a fit!

sparrow

Found this on the Cattwalk website:

TIP: If you get the exact right amount of glass (or sometimes a little extra) you may find that your bead sticks in the cavity. Don't panic, but it is recommended that you keep some type of tweezers or pick nearby so that you can help nudge the mandrel up out of the cavity if necessary. This can happen with any of the tools that make beads with a 90 degree corner or edge.

So why do your lentils do it?

Their tuts are great for anybody out there trying to get to grips with a particular press, by the way!

http://www.cattwalk.com/tutorials.htm
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

Lush!

Quote from: sparrow on February 13, 2008, 08:15:47 AMbut it is recommended that you keep some type of tweezers or pick nearby so that you can help nudge the mandrel up out of the cavity if necessary.

The top and bottom parts of the press actually clamp tight shut on the bead so this wouldn't work.  You know when you have to separate frozen hamburgers ....  ;D

GoodMonkey

Which make of presses are they?  I was having this discussion with Sandra yesterday.  I thought is was the pins when they are not tapered enough and Sandra thinks its the type of metal the pins are made from heating up quicker and thereby expanding to fill the hole the pin goes in. 

Lush!

They're both from Maria Louisa.

I don't know if its only happening with her presses, but I use hers more than any others I've got!

beads-on-toast

bring em to Pam's and we'll have a looksee

Juniper

Quote from: Maytime on February 13, 2008, 09:06:21 AM
Which make of presses are they?  I was having this discussion with Sandra yesterday.  I thought is was the pins when they are not tapered enough and Sandra thinks its the type of metal the pins are made from heating up quicker and thereby expanding to fill the hole the pin goes in. 

I don't think that expanding is that significant. That would mean that all the presses would jam when used. I also think it's too tight fit.
Paula

Maria Louisa

I sometimes have it with a tile if the amount of glass is exact right but I wiggle a bit and this always helps then. With the lentils I have never got it. I don't understand how this can be also.
You're the first I hear about this so I'm very curious what the cause can be.
www.glassbeadsculptress.com
www.glassbeadsculptress.etsy.com
www.beadpress.nl
www.flickr.com/beadpress

beadysam

I have no idea if this will work, but what about trying a little beeswax?

Lush!

Quote from: Maria Louisa on February 13, 2008, 11:02:46 AM
I sometimes have it with a tile if the amount of glass is exact right but I wiggle a bit and this always helps then. With the lentils I have never got it. I don't understand how this can be also.
You're the first I hear about this so I'm very curious what the cause can be.

Maria Louisa, I love my lentil press, its such a perfect size and shape - but yesterday I lost three beautiful beads in this way in the space of an hour!  So I really am willing to try anything people can think of.

Quote from: beadysam on February 13, 2008, 11:13:20 AM
I have no idea if this will work, but what about trying a little beeswax?

Beeswax? It could be interesting to try something like this on the flat part of the press ...

Dragonfire Glass

It doesn't happen with the lentil press just the tab one. But then the sides are straight on the tab so maybe that's a factor. I do know it doesn't happen if there is less glass.