how to slice murrini

Started by flowerjasper, February 05, 2008, 11:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flowerjasper

just seen a fab tutorial on www.lakesideartglass.com   , this plus beads i have seen here, make me want to make my own murrini,
i am ok at stringers, so i should be ok on the creation, i am just curious how you cut the slices!
does the murrini have to be warm?
if its too warm surely it will squash, if too cold wont it shatter,
sandy

Sarah

Hi Sandy

You should cut it cold with a pair of rod nippers. Try to cut it in a jar or box to catch the pieces as they ping off everywhere & you won't find them until you go into your work area without any shoes on.....

Sarah
xxx

Redhotsal

I've never been able to cut the buggers neatly either - any tips gratefully received - do anyone actually go the effort of filing them down? Mine are always completely randomn when I use nippers - I've often wondered whether I'd get better results by using my own teeth (that's a joke.....)

flowerjasper

best i get myself some nippers then!
anyone recommend any ?
sandy

sparrow

Don't have experience with many, but I got mine from Q, and they cut even my big clear rods - 11-12mm - without any fuss  ;D
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

Jolene

Quote from: sparrow on February 06, 2008, 07:00:00 AM
Don't have experience with many, but I got mine from Q, and they cut even my big clear rods - 11-12mm - without any fuss  ;D

Are they the kind with wheels or ones that look like a pincer?

glassworks

yep, we found a reliable supplier and got some... they do a nice clean cut right up to thick boro, but be careful to keep your fingers out from the middle - they can pinch like mad if you curl your skin under the "stops"!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Shirley

I'm glad I just bought a pair of those, then, Q. Wanted them specifically for murrini, which I've never tried making before. :)
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

beads-on-toast

i know people who make fish murrini pre anneal them.

Make the murrini, cut, anneal then use