Sievert Torch OK and will I blow myself up!?

Started by FireLily, January 31, 2008, 04:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FireLily

Hello :-)

I'm new to Lampworking - infact set up my torch today! As I am a bit scared of the gas - flame - buring down my house (!) thing I went into Bristol Gasworks and it turns out the guy there has supplied a few bead makers with torches. Anyway, I bought a Sievert (looks quite like the hothead?) and am running this off bulk propane.

Well I managed to make 4 tragic little beads. I've got a selection of ASK, Effetre and CIM. I used them separately, although I understand they do mix? Anyway - they are all brown!!

So my questions are -
1. Is the torch OK?
2. I gather I am holding the bead too low in the flame?

Anyway, I have posted a pic of my set up and of the tragic tribe... If you can believe it, the glass was originally yellow, orange and green!!! Would be grateful if anyone would take a look and let me know if I'm about to blow myself up!!

Thank you!!
Anna

[attachment deleted by admin]

Vicki

Hi Anna ;D

I have no idea how to answer your questions as my torch doesn't look like that, but welcome ;D  Where do you live?

xVx

Josephine

A Sievert is designed to run on propane but it is meant for silversmithing. A hothead is designed specially for beadmaking either on Mapp or propane. I've never heard of a sievert being used for beadmaking and I would guess that the mix of air and propane isn't right. Perhaps someone with more technical knowledge of torches can be of more help.

Black Heart Beads

Hi Anna,

I just wanted to say welcome. Sorry I cant help you with the problem but I am sure someone will be along any time now who can.

FireLily

Thank you!
I'm in Bristol :-) I went for a day's course with Sally Carver, which was brilliant. Really loved it, but a bit sad that these don;t quite look like the ones I made with Sally! Hey ho - onwards and upwards! ( I hope!!)

x

sparrow

Hi Anna, erm, I've got a Sievert, but for silversmithing only, it wouldn't have occurred to me to try it for lampworking, I think the flame is far too unfocused and the torch burns too dirty to deal with glass (I'm no expert though, so see what other people think). If I were you, I'd see whether they take it back, and get a hothead instead (but again, see what others think.  ??? Welcome to the forum, though!  :) :) :) :)
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

Vicki

I asked because i come from Bath, not that I've lived there since i was 19, but I'm still fond of the place ;D

FireLily

Ah I love Bath :-) I lived there for 2 years before coming here..

It seems there are quite a lot of glass things going on around this area, am I right? I managed to buy some glass rods in a shop which surprised me!

Vicki

you lucky thing, I don't know as i live in dorset now, Sandy (spheres of glass) lives in nr bath I think & has some lovely presses for sale, thats all I know ;D

♥♥Tan♥♥

It looks as if you may be holding them too low in the flame, try it a bit further up, and just use one colour like yellow, make each bead in different areas of the flame and see howyou get on

Unfortunately it does sound as if it is the wrong torch for the job, but have a play first before you give up on it. I worked on a welding torch for years with no problems

garishglobes

I think a Sievert is a bit like a plumbers torch, so it is very reducing and doesnt pull in enough oxygen for lampworked beads.
I used to use a basic plumbers torch in tandem with my hothead to get good colours from the reducing silver glasses! A quick blast got great results. It also gets those lovely reds from turquoise glass. But for most beads, it is just too dirty and you need a hothead.

Sal

I'm afraid I have no idea about the answer to your question but hi and welcome!  ;D

Mary

Is your propane living inside? It's heavier than air so it doesn't disperse like other gases, so it's best to keep it outdoors. I bring my hose in through the window.

Hot heads are designed to pull through more air than plumbers' or silversmiths' torches, so it burns cleaner, you'd probably find it easier. I hope you get it sorted!

FireLily

Thank you for all your help :-)

I ended up talking to Mike Tuffnell (what a nice man!) and I've ordered a Hothead! Never mind, I'll have to take up silversmithing so I can use the other one too!

Thank for all your help again,
Anna
x

♥♥Tan♥♥