Enamel recomendations for Screen Printing and Stamping please

Started by Flowers, April 01, 2021, 02:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flowers

Hi There seems to be a lot of different enamel and paint products for glass fusing on the market.  I am looking for colours for screen printing that are lead free and safe for putting food on etc.  I started off having a go with Glassline Paint but find that they fire to a very powdery/matte finish and I really want something that fires to high temps and has a glossy finish  and where the colours stay strong.  I have read about Ferro Sunshine Enamels and EZ Fire Enamels and also Colors For Earth.  I would be very interested in hearing what people think of these products when using them for screen printing, how sharp and glossy the colours are after firing and which of the products you would recomened and why.
Thank you so much for any help you can offer.

Nicknack

EZfire are good for screen printing. You can get them from Becky Wills or Liz Sparkes (Classification of Kiln Formed Glass Club). Liz also sells Dove enamels, as used by Marguerite Beneke. Both fire well and remain glossy.

Nick

Nicknack

Sorry, blasted autocomplete! That should be ( Glassification or Kiln Formed Glass Club).

Flowers

Dietmar

Different idea:
Print or stamp with a water based glue like gum arabic and sift finest frit or powder on it. Tilt the base glass untill the exess frit or powder is falling off while tapping gently.
Advantage: You can use the original colors compatibel with the base glass.
Disadvantage: You have to fire after every single printed color if you don't want to mix the exess frit or powder with other colors.

Can you explain more about the project? Has it several colors, fine lines, or a rough surface? What glass are you using for the base to print on it? If that base is a reactive color like reds, greens ot tourquoise you'll heve to think about the colors that might react with the base to red or black outlines.