Frit-Happens !
December 10, 2018, 03:46:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
your ad here
News:
Where are you?? Add yourself to the NEW FHF map here  | On flickr? Join our Frit Happens group: here

VISIT THE WIKI HERE
Get FH Status updates via twitter @FritHappens

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Mango Beads
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Yellow experiments  (Read 85 times)
Moira HFG
Half Full Glass
Forum Member

Ever the optimist

« on: November 18, 2018, 03:36:54 PM »

Hi All,

Recently I was trying to make some small (5 to 6mm) beads for a friend's project. She wanted a warm yellow colour, but not orange. And definitely not a cool or greenish yellow. Well, I found that every golden yellow I own went orange. Striking produces variations in colour but isn't very controllable at that small size.

I ended up working through all my yellows to see what I got. Here's my results (in case anyone else finds it useful!).

In each case A is worked as quickly and cool as possible, B is lightly struck, C is heavily struck. They are on 1mm mandrels.
Colours are:
1. A mystery rod (may be an old batch of Eff Yellow Pastel - that's what the rod looks like).
2. Effetre Yellow Pastel with Golden Rod enamel. (Nice texture but not yellow enough)
3. Effetre Yellow Pastel (stable colour but definitely orange)
4. Effetre Yellow Ochre (interesting colour, unlike the rod. Orange with a hint of green!)
5. Effetre Light Zucca (went warm orange then struck back to yellow in patches. More yellow than the pic shows.)
6. Effetre Apricot Yellow (as Lt Zucca but less yellow)
7. Bullseye Marigold and Sunflower frit on clear (grasping at straws here!)
8. Unknown stringer, maybe Effetre Light Lemon (no stone unturned. Heavy striking produced some surprising semi-translucence.)

I was aiming for the colour in 1B. I made some more but it wasn't very reproducable, around half were orange.
If anyone can recommend a colour for future use, I'll get some next time I put an order in. I'd prefer 104, but would consider 96.

Thanks, Moira

Glassy Lou
Melter of glass and fingers
Forum Member

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 01:00:08 PM »

Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing. I like CiM Schoolbus - I think they describe it as orange but Iíve always found it to be a nice, warm golden sort of yellow. Eff Med Lemon (408) is usually my go-to yellow. CiM Pumpkin and Goldenrod are also nice (but sometimes hit and miss over whether theyíre available)
Iíll post a pic if I can remember my flikr password 🙄

Moira HFG
Half Full Glass
Forum Member

Ever the optimist

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 11:13:52 PM »

Schoolbus! I'd forgotten that existed. Does it look like the rod when worked? i haven't seen the other CiMs you mention.
I'd love to see pics if you can batter your way back into Flickr!
Thanks for the advice! Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: