Frit-Happens !
August 24, 2019, 05:17:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
your ad here
News:
Where are you?? Add yourself to the NEW FHF map here  | On flickr? Join our Frit Happens group: here

VISIT THE WIKI HERE
Get FH Status updates via twitter @FritHappens

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
A Flame with Desire
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Taxco - can anyone advise?  (Read 183 times)
Moira HFG
Half Full Glass
Forum Member

Ever the optimist

« on: June 08, 2019, 01:45:34 PM »

Somehow a bundle of TAG Taxco made it's way into my Flame Off purchases  Wink.

I looked up all the references I could find online from sellers and users to see how to work it, and had a go. Sadly I have not produced anything like the beautiful oil-slick lustre or mirror finish I saw posted by more competent beadmakers on Lampwork Etc.  Sad

The advice goes: after making your bead, let it cool to barely glowing then waft it briefly in a 'dragon's breath' (strong propane-only) flame. No-one mentions striking, but the range of colours I've seen - different greeny-blues - suggests it does.

So I've tried gentle heating; heating to sloppy and cooling on brass then repeating; gentle reduction, repeated reduction. Nada. It's a nice turquoise, but Effetre do one of those much cheaper.

Then tried it over various bases. Clear just makes it paler  Roll Eyes
Then (in order below): alone with dots of Aurae, over Sand with Aurae trails, over the dark mixed freebie from FO with Aurae dots, over Euros/pale blueish FO freebie, Reich Ocean, Dark Matter, Tongue pink, Vetro Pink Swirl, Striped Pink, Opal Yellow and Effetre black (tiny bead, release broke up).

I got a bit of lustre on the Tongue Pink, and it made the Euros go a nice mirror gold but stubbornly stayed unlustrous itself. The most promising was the Striped Pink - it looks very dark in the photo, but in bright light I can see mixed blues and definite iridescent lustre. I must try that combination over clear to lighten it up. Also a proper try over black.

If anyone has better suggestions on how to work this stuff, I'd be very happy to hear them....

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: