glass pen nib?

Started by Steampunkglass, September 22, 2016, 07:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steampunkglass

Anybody made glass pens with glass nibs? The type where the nib is glass? I have a customer specifically asking for a special pen but with a glass nib.  :-\ Anyone got any tips to make them, contemporary glass has a paragraph on making them but not sure if anyone here has any practical experience of doing them and any tips????

mel

Sorry I cant be of any help whatsoever, but would be interested to hear of any progress you make!
Laughinglass Lampwork Beads

Moira HFG

No - but there are a few things on Youtube....

Nicknack

I've seen Ray Skene do it, but it was several years ago. He was demoing. I would ask him if I were you.

Nick

tuffnell glass

Hi,
   We used to make them but they would only hold enough ink for one or two short words .

Best wishes ,

Martin
Tuffnell Glass

tuffnellglass@yahoo.co.uk
www.tuffnellglass.com
www.flameoff.co.uk

baked glass

I've tried making the shape with a star mould and with laying down narrow stringers over a cone but have had not had total success with either.  They do write a bit, just don't hold the ink for very long.  There are some great tips at this site.  http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242948&highlight=glass+pens

Steampunkglass

Thank you all, I'll have a play around and see what I can do  :)

Dietmar

Push dust away... blow....((:))

Wet Canvas altered their structure and the link abouve goes into the nothing.

I know from Lauscha Farbglashuette they make canes for those nibs. The cosssection is a 10...12 pointed star with deep grooves. Warm this shape as gently as possible untill it is barely soft enough to pull to the wanted thickness. The most important thing is to work these star shaped canes as cold as possible not to loose the grooves. Once they are gone you lost them on this part. Just replace and learn to warm up with more patience and less speed.