Advice from experience stallholders please

Started by JaySpangles, March 18, 2011, 10:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaySpangles

DD and I are going to our very first craft fair in 8 days time (eek!)
As you can imagine we have been working VERY hard to build up stock - and now a bit of a body blow.
DD had an hospital appointment for the following day - no probs, but now the paperwork has arrived and it is on the Sunday of our show.  It cannot be changed for a million reasons.
That means I will man the stall single-handed for the second day.  In principle I don't have a problem with that, but I do have a question.

What do you do when you have to leave the stall (eg to go to the loo)  I obviously would take the money with me, but will the general public pilfer our stock or nick our computer?  What is the usual form? or should I try to rope in a second pair of hands?

Advice greatly appreciated.  I know this might sound like a lightweight question, but never having done one before it is a bit of an unknown.

Veebee

At the risk of sounding like an old grump, I would try and rope someone in, for fear of just those things you mentioned. You could maybe ask a stallholder who has 2 people on the Sunday if you can borrow one of them for 5 minutes while you nip to the loo!
Web: http://www.veebeads.net
The UK home of Val Cox frit!!
Fritt Flickr group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1647822@N25/

JewelsK

Well you might be able to get a neighbouring stallholder to watch the stand for you (that's what I've had to do in the past) but if you can get anyone to go along or even pop in for a half hour or so to give you a break that'd be easier.

Having had stuff pinched while I've been there I'd say keep a close eye on people - particularly if they arrive in twos and one gets you talking - oh that sounds so cynical but better safe than sorry!

Hope it all goes well for you :)

sparrow

I am usually on my own, and quite a few stall holders are - tbh, I've always asked somebody neighbouring to watch the stall, and watched lots of stalls for a minute while the owner goes to the loo - because it's the second day, you can work out who you'd rather trust on the Saturday, and ask in advance - might well be that one of your neighbours will b on their own, ad you can build up good will on the Saturday by watching their stall :) Good luck with it!
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

ScarletLeonard

I'm a loner when it comes to fairs.
Neighbouring stall holders has always worked for me, in a lot of cases the organiser doesn't usually have a stall (or when they do they always have help with them) so could be worth having a word with them on the Saturday if they are able to help you a little. With it being the organiser too they should be the most trust worthy out of every one there.

Round here it's never really been a problem with potential thieves. At some of our fairs it's actually been rare on occasion to find the actual stall holder behind their own stall, we wander round and mingle and if you happen to see an empty and a customer you serve them and write down the sale then find the owner and pass the cash on when you find the owner. (those fairs though there is a core of us who have been standing for years along side each other.)

Good luck at your fair and fingers cross for a really good weekend

Mand

My DH usually turns up at lunchtime and I get a wee and sandwich break.  I've met some lovely people from other stalls, takes a few hours to suss out who you'd like to rely on I guess.  I think it's always good to know that someone will be able to take over even for 15 /20mins, so see if your DH would be willing or a friend could pop in?

Hope the weekend goes well for you both and that Anna gets on OK at hospital.
:-*

The Tartan Trout

I more often than not am on my own at fairs. You will find that even during setting up time you will get to know your neighbours. I really wouldn't worry about it at all, especially as it's the second day :) :)

fionaess

Im always on my own at fairs- just ask your 'next door neighbour' to keep an eye on your stall while you pop to the loo - no doubt they will ask the same of you :)

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

Steampunkglass

Quote from: fionaess on March 25, 2011, 10:31:14 PM
Im always on my own at fairs- just ask your 'next door neighbour' to keep an eye on your stall while you pop to the loo - no doubt they will ask the same of you :)
Same here! Although whenever I wait for a quiet lull I come back and find hundreds of customers have turned up!

JaySpangles

I took your advice and it was fine. By the second day I was more confident and the couple on the next stall were very friendly and helpful. It was nice however to have your words of encouragement and advice and I was less apprehensive as a result. Thank you all. We now look forward to our next event.

ScarletLeonard

not going to spill the beans? did you have a good weekend sales wise?

JaySpangles

We had a good weekend sales volume wise. We had a range of jewellery items we had made from our own beads and some bead sets, prices ranging from £8 to £45. We sold out of the £8 items and a few of all the other things, so a busy weekend but financially only moderate. Covered our initial outlay though. Big learning curve and nice experience.
Ps spent my profit on improving other stallholders takings!

The Tartan Trout

Quote from: JaySpangles on March 30, 2011, 08:07:24 AM
We had a good weekend sales volume wise. We had a range of jewellery items we had made from our own beads and some bead sets, prices ranging from £8 to £45. We sold out of the £8 items and a few of all the other things, so a busy weekend but financially only moderate. Covered our initial outlay though. Big learning curve and nice experience.
Ps spent my profit on improving other stallholders takings!

lol I frequently do that. I have to be very restrained or I could end up spending more than I make :)

CarrieH

I have to avoid being near anyone selling handmade soaps etc else I'd may as well just give them my stock in return for all theirs!

Carrie x
www.CarrieandCo.folksy.com
www.carriehartshorn.etsy.com