Frit-Happens !
October 24, 2018, 06:28:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
your ad here
News:
Where are you?? Add yourself to the NEW FHF map here  | On flickr? Join our Frit Happens group: here

VISIT THE WIKI HERE
Get FH Status updates via twitter @FritHappens

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Glacial Art Glass
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pepe jump ring maker problem  (Read 242 times)
ruth
Forum Member

« on: August 10, 2018, 10:43:38 AM »

I know it isnít lampwork and that there are speacalist sites on FB but I thought I would ask here first. I make a lot of chainmaille stuff and teach a bit so decided to buy the ring maker. It is a lovely bit of kit but I break the blades and I donít know why. They are pricey, nearly£15 each.
Any tips or advice welcome

Frittering the children's inheritance.
mizgeorge
Administrator

Or should that be missus?

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 01:23:18 PM »

Are the blades actually breaking or just losing teeth? If it's the former, it's likely to be some sort of misalignment that's causing the blade to spin slightly off-true, if the latter, then lubrication could be the problem, or using too fine a blade, or even just too hard a metal.

I have a couple of ring makers, but always seem to end up reverting to hand sawing, despite the ridiculous number of rings I cut.

ruth
Forum Member

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 01:50:54 PM »

Thank you George. I think it is misalignment. It is difficult because I cut several hundred rings and then it breaks. I always apply lubricant to the coils before cutting. On the fineness of the blade issue I am cutting copper or silver coils and using Pepe blades. Are there different thickness of blade?

mizgeorge
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 01:11:39 PM »

There are sources for blades that are a fair bit cheaper, and yes, they do come in different gauges. I'm back at my main pc until later next week, but will find you a link or two as soon as I am.

ruth
Forum Member

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 08:30:00 AM »

Thank you.

ruth
Forum Member

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 08:19:11 AM »

There are sources for blades that are a fair bit cheaper, and yes, they do come in different gauges. I'm back at my main pc until later next week, but will find you a link or two as soon as I am.

Dont mean to pester but would really appreciate this info. I know you are busy but I have drawn a blank on internet. Thanks
Ruth

mizgeorge
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 05:35:29 PM »

Sorry Ruth - brain like a sieve!

My favourite suppliers are both out of stock (though the Ring Lord may well get them back in soon). In the meantime, try these: http://www.ottofrei.com/Pepe-Jump-Ring-Maker-Sawblades?custcol_of_xc_size=1402  or these: https://contenti.com/pepetools-jump-ring-maker - works out a fair bit cheaper even with postage. Both companies are very good at sending international stuff by letter airmail.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: