Main Menu

Stringers !!!

Started by fionaess, January 15, 2008, 12:13:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fionaess

Thank you everyone - and once again Sal.. you really make the explanation so easy to follow and the reason why my so called stringers look the way they do.. and yes you were right I have a massive lump of glass in my tweezers/pliers..  I will persevere with the 'Sal Way'.. about how long should they be.. Shirley said  that she breaks hers into 6" lengths.. but what length should my marrowfat pea size lump give me please.

Fiona - who is sorry to be asking so many questions.

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

Hil

I have just got the hang of stringers after reading "Passing the Flame" and I find that I have to keep slightly rolling the glass rod between my thumb and forefinger (not all the way round, just slightly back and forth), whilst the glass is still fairly molton.   I grab the glass with the tweezers while it is still molton, but wait (whilst rocking the rod slightly) until it has hardened slightly.  You can stop/start the pulling process to begin with, to get the feel of how hot the glass is.

Hope that makes sense.

Hil x
Is there anybody out there?

www.SpaTownBeads0407.etsy.com

glassworks

my tuppence worth is that when i started making twisties and stringers i also used to have a fat lump at one end and a thing "hair" instead of a stringer.. this was because i was pulling while the blob wsa still too hot and way to quickly... the molten blob needs to cool off a little first,a dn when you grab a tiny piece let the cold metal of the tweezers "set" the glass you are gripping, then and only then SLOWLY draw the stringer downwards..

it even helps if you pull a small bit the right thickness and blow on it - to give you a stiff bit the right size to help you pull the rest...

(just re-read this and i KNOW tan will somehow find it, nudge, nudge, wink, wink say NO more!!)...  ;D ;D ;D ;D

fionaess

Should work.......it's quite easy - you'll wonder why you struggled with it once you get the hang of it!  ;D

[/quote]

Once again Sal you have come up trumps for me....  I wrote down your instructions, took them out to the torch and now have stringers in a variety of thicknesses, lengths (the longest being about 24") I have stringers in new colours (mixed my rod and a bit of leftover from my pot) I have just taken them downstairs to my slightly bemused DH to show him  ::)  Does this mean that I will never have to buy a 'stringer pack' again... just rods?

Fiona

flowerjasper

Quote from: Bluebottle_25 on January 15, 2008, 08:10:40 AM
This is a good one ... http://www.cauldroncreations.com/sistutorial.html
i am off to look now,
am all chuffed as the second lot of beads are annealing in my kiln as we speak!

Kaz

Hey Fiona well done - I thought you'd nicked those early ones from my studio!!!
Had a go tonight at making a twistie in the flame and it worked out OK by keeping the tweezer hand still and twisting the rod hand - not even but just about usable. Will have a go at pulling some stringers again now I have read this...
Kaz
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

fionaess

Kaz, Sal's instructions are excellent.. just follow them step by step and stringers come out beautifully.  I was pinching off far too much in my pliers - you need just a tiny bit to pull .

Fiona

mariag

Quote from: Hil on January 15, 2008, 01:49:27 PM
I have just got the hang of stringers after reading "Passing the Flame" and I find that I have to keep slightly rolling the glass rod between my thumb and forefinger (not all the way round, just slightly back and forth), whilst the glass is still fairly molton.   I grab the glass with the tweezers while it is still molton, but wait (whilst rocking the rod slightly) until it has hardened slightly.  You can stop/start the pulling process to begin with, to get the feel of how hot the glass is.
Hil that's what I do too ;D

& Q in the absence of Tan, all I can say is OOOOOOERRRRRR

June

Quote from: Bluebottle_25 on January 15, 2008, 08:10:40 AM
This is a good one ... http://www.cauldroncreations.com/sistutorial.html

I tried SIS from this tut last night with just a little silver foil on the end of ivory stringer (a Martin supplied one, as I can pull them but not as thick as these !!), but it went all brown and murky - was it too hot?  I'm on a HH at the moment, so maybe too low in the flame - or should I have put in reducing flame?  Any help appreciated !!   :)
Thanks,
June

Lush!

SIS is kind of murky!  Wrap it round a bead, melt it in well, even allow the bead to get quite soft to really stretch and "activate" the SIS ....

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

June

Quote from: Bluebottle_25 on January 17, 2008, 09:56:23 AM
SIS is kind of murky!  Wrap it round a bead, melt it in well, even allow the bead to get quite soft to really stretch and "activate" the SIS ....

I'll give it a go, thanks Julie  ;D

fionaess

Just wanted to let you all know that not only can I pull stringers.... but .... I can also make twisties as well..  not brilliant twisties, not all the same regular width twisties, BUT I can make them  :D :D :D :D :D :D

Fiona

Kaz

Yee-Hah!!! We need evidence though - photos, photos!!!
Kaz
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

fionaess

You really want pics of my funky looking twisties ???????

Fiona

sparrow

Yes, we do!!!!! I'll trade you for a photo of what I did with my wonkiest twisty - you first!  :)
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial