Frit-Happens !
December 13, 2017, 10:37:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
your ad here
News:
Where are you?? Add yourself to the NEW FHF map here  | On flickr? Join our Frit Happens group: here

VISIT THE WIKI HERE
Get FH Status updates via twitter @FritHappens

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Bead Press
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Garden Stakes  (Read 278 times)
emeltee
New Forum Member

« on: August 19, 2017, 09:08:59 AM »

I'm fairly new to stained glass so please bear with me. Using the copper foil method I have made some things ( a bee, a butterfly etc) which I would like to attach to stakes to put in the garden. However I have no idea of the best way to do this or what I should use. Can anyone help. please.

Emeltee
Moira HFG
Half Full Glass
Forum Member

Ever the optimist

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 09:04:50 PM »

I suppose it depends how long you want them to last, and how much you want to spend.

Expensive and serious - you could buy custom metal stakes from someone like Pat Roche in Ireland.
Cheap and simple - you could solder a length of copper wire to the the piece, and wrap the wire around the top of a pea stick, or bamboo pole, or welding rod. Or you could make a loop and hang the piece from a tree.

If you do this, make sure you fix the copper wire across a couple of seams, not just to the edge, or it will just pull the edge away from the glass.

Post pics!

Moira

emeltee
New Forum Member

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 09:07:33 AM »

Many thanks for the advice Moira. Would I have to bend the wire and follow a seam or could I leave it straight and just do a dot of solder where it crosses a seam? Sorry if that sounds stupid but as I said I am new to all this and still trying to discover the 'tricks of the trade' so to speak.

Emeltee
Nina A
Forum Member

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 10:39:24 AM »

I don't think that the copper foil would stand up to the British wet weather for very long. 
emeltee
New Forum Member

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 10:52:16 AM »

So what do you suggest I use?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: