Selling for charity question

Started by Rascal, July 02, 2012, 09:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rascal

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. Someone at work has asked me if I would make some non-jewellery items, e.g. pens, wine bottle stoppers, key-rings etc to sell and raise money for charity. They would cover the cost of the material and I would donate my time and profits. Apart from a recent sale for a friend at work, I just make gifts for family and am a bit concerned that even if they are sold for charity I would still need insurance, disclaimers etc just in case something happens. I am normally one for jumping straight in and saying yes before thinking things through but this time something has made me say "I'll have a think'. Am I worrying about nothing and being too cautious or do I need to take insurance and is there anything else I would need to consider? Thanks for any advice.

Blue Box Studio

I would say 'yes'.  Slightly different but I do refreshments during arts week in aid of a local animal charity, and I had to get insurance, kitchen checked out, food hygeine certificate etc. I think, from a legal point of view, whether you sell it or give it away you are still liable.  I suppose from the other end of the process, if you were seriously harmed by a product you bought/won at a charity event you'd still want recompence.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Rascal

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to say no for now and make a cash donation instead, perhaps I'll reconsider when I'm more experienced and looking to sell and therefore need to get insurance etc.