Frit-Happens !
August 24, 2017, 03:46:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
your ad here
News:
Where are you?? Add yourself to the NEW FHF map here  | On flickr? Join our Frit Happens group: here

VISIT THE WIKI HERE
Get FH Status updates via twitter @FritHappens

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Bavarian Beads
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Implosion tips please  (Read 252 times)
mel
Forum Member

« on: April 09, 2017, 12:27:17 PM »

I'm making off-mandrel implosions using solid clear rod and starting with a maria. I've looked at a couple of you tube demos and have made a few, but have some questions.

The centre implode beautifully, but the outer design often gets lost/smudged. So my questions are:
1. How close the the edge of the maria can you place the design- is there a proportion that needs to be clear from design?
2. When heating the maria with the design on, my understanding is to tilt the rod down to encourage the glass to flow-and heat the rim of the maria which sort of bulges out to form a tyre shape which you then gently press to flatten. How do you deal with the belly button that forms in the maria centre?
3. When you have finished imploding, should all the original design be covered by clear? Maybe I am stopping too soon?

Laughinglass Lampwork Beads
garishglobes
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 08:46:36 AM »

The way the maria implodes depends on both the angle of the rod to the vertical and the tilt of the face towards the flame, if you see what I mean. More vertical and the glass will flow faster with gravity, making a longer, thinner implosion and giving more risk of that 'belly button'. But hot glass flows better towards warm glass than it does cool, and I usually try to envisage the implosion as a process of moving the clear glass around the maria from the sides/ top to the front... so you need to keep the front warm to accept that flow of glass, while still heating the 'tyre rim' to get the glass molten enough to move.

Usually, the imploded design would end in a point - or near enough to get the final little bit picked out and pulled together (having first allowed the rest of the implosion to set just a bit). It can help to run a little bit of clear in a ring around this point, which helps with the shape.

There is a video on Youtube of John Kobuki making a flower implosion as part of a class at Corning. It's on their channel somewhere and worth watching.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: