Getting back to the torch

Started by Rachel S, November 20, 2016, 10:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rachel S

Hi guys,
I really didn't know where to put this, but it seemed like a bit of a newbie question, so here goes....
After 8 months at the torch, I went through a period of not being able to do lampworking, but am ready to go again (yay!). I was just wondering, is there anything I should do differently when turning everything on again after being away for 7 months - any extra safety checks or precautions?
I'm really hoping I remember how to turn everything on safely!
Thanks for your advice :)
Rachel xox

flame n fuse

If everything has been stored in a nice dry room, I would expect that everything would be OK. I'd check the gas connections just to be on the safe side. I've heard that oxycons don't like humidity, so if it has been stored somewhere a bit damp, it might need to be run for a while to get it working properly. If things have been moved from their usual positions I'd check that nothing flammable is near the torch. Otherwise - enjoy!

ruth

Welcome back to the torch. Like yourself I was away for a while but it was the kiln that worried me. It was a return the very new days when I spent over a month just walking passed the kiln and promising my self that I will master the beast " tomorrow ".

When I did say hello to the kiln again it behaved as though I had never been away.
As said above check for leaks, as for turning everything on safely, the standard advice is POOP I believe.

Enjoy

Ruth
Frittering the children's inheritance.

Rachel S

Thank you all for your advice, that was really helpful  :) Much appreciated!

Hopefully giving it a go tomorrow. Excited and nervous - I'll prob have to learn how to make a round bead again lol!

R xox

Nicknack

Don't worry, it's like riding a bike, it all comes back quite quickly.

Have fun!

Nick

Rachel S

It felt so great to be back at the torch yesterday, and I made a few nearly round beads lol! However, there are grey/black streaks in them, and on a clear turquoise bead I got terracotta smudges on it! Does this mean my torch is dirty? Could the dirt make the terracotta happen? Thanks for any advice!

flame n fuse

What sort of torch do you have? Glad to hear that you got started. It sounds like you are working with a slightly reducing flame. Can you try working a bit further up in the flame, or turning up your oxygen (or your propane down).

Rachel S

It's a Nortel Minor. Reducing will probably be it - I was a bit rusty remembering what the flame should look like! If I get that again I'll know what I'm doing wrong. Thank you!!