Main Menu

dichro gallaxy question

Started by baked glass, April 19, 2017, 08:44:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baked glass

Good morning, I've been making 'galaxy' pendants and marbles by twisting dichro glass into a spiral and rounding it up with very good results but came to the end of my supply of dichro glass so ordered more.  The batch I received has little diamond shapes in the actual dichro coating instead of being a uniform sheet like the last one and when I made my pendants, the dichro stayed in diamond shaped 'snowflakes' instead of streaking stars.  It's kind of a nice look and might be good for butterfly wings or dragon scales but isn't making the star effect I was after.  Any one else tried this type of dichro and have any tips?
starburst pattern by cheryl baker, on Flickr

snowflake pattern by cheryl baker, on Flickr

garishglobes

I have a bit of dichro that has small squares (about 5mm across) in a grid pattern on clear. I think, because of the gaps, it's hard to get an even effect with it. I've certainly never managed! It may also have something to do with the way the coating has been put on, that is making it stay a bit more stuck-together??

I ended up using it as it is, cutting it and using the square pattern as an effect without twisting.

But - don't let this sheet put you off dichro patterned sheets! There are loads of different ones out there and some are really lovely. Generally though, I like them better if they are patterned right across the sheet (ie the whole sheet is coloured with no clear bit), or if the clear sections are small so that there's much more dichroic colour.

baked glass

Thanks Emma. Your description of the square sounds just like my current dichro sheet, and  I must agree I prefer the stuff that has a continuous sheet of coating to the patterned one I have but I'll keep playing with it and see if I can come up with any solutions.  Shame though as the galaxy pattern was selling quite well this spring but who knows, maybe I'll come up with something even better.