Anyone on natural gas?

Started by Charli, February 21, 2013, 06:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calico Cat

Quote from: Charli on February 25, 2013, 06:07:13 PM
Quote from: Pauline on February 25, 2013, 05:43:02 PM
at the risk of being shot down in flames, why do you have to sell it, why can't you just use it on propane in your craft room and take the bottle out when not in use? that works for me, you can use propane indoors just can't store it
Hmm, the insurance people said that I wouldn't be insured if the propane was indoors- which I guess just made me think I shouldn't have it indoors ever. Wander if they'd insure me using smaller bottles- like camping-gas size or mapp bottles? I only specifically asked about 6kg propane tanks (as thats what i have!). Or if they'd be happy so long as it wasn't stored there (it was like 8 months ago i spoke to them- can't remember the specifics now!)
I shall phone them tomorrow... thanks for the idea... *ponders*

You should be able to have at least up to a 13kg bottle.

Watch this space for new Etsy shop . . .

Moira HFG

I don't know if this will help; if it's the hose and fittings that are the problem, might it help to use stainless steel braid covered hose? Perhaps a gas fitter would be happier with this, as it's very damage-proof. Here's the company I used, for a project at work.
http://www.swagelok.com/search/find_products_home.aspx?part=SS-CT12AS12AS12-36&item=14b5dc8d-75c3-4718-aa92-528180632eed

Good luck!

Jules1971

I know this is an old thread but as im a Gas engineer i thought i would a add little bit to it. Should other people read in the future.

All gas engineers have to be registered on the gas safe register.
There are 3 categories of gas work
1. Domestic
2. Commercial
3. Catering

You need a specific qualification/ticket to work in each category.
The problem i believe in this case is that 90% of registered gas engineers in the uk only have the ticket to work on domestic gas appliances.
This type of work comes under the commercial ticket.
The penalties if caught working out of your categories Are punishable under criminal law by prosecution by the HSE.
Its just not worth a gas engineers career to risk unless he has specific knowledge and the ticket needed.
The second problem, as it is in a domestic property a commercial engineer may not want to do the work.

flame n fuse

Charli

Is it commercial even if you're not selling beads? I don't, I make beads but I don't sell them and I don't have a business.

I did get it done in the end, describing my bobcat as 'like a bunsen burner' and someone fitted it no problem. But describe it as a blowtorch and say it was for melting glass was a no-go. So I can do chemistry in my spare room, but not crafts!

I get it inspected every year with the boiler and no other plumber has ever mentioned anything (same company who installed it, but different people), and the insurance don't care so long as it gets inspected.

Jules1971

Hi Charli,

it generally down to the type of installation rather than if your working as a business.

gas appliances as classed as either domestic, commercial or catering hence the 3 categories gas engineers can work can work on.

sometimes there are grey area's where things can cross over between categories and sometimes common sense but if an engineers has no experience of it they will not risk it.

glad you got it sorted though.