Main Menu

Diana East

Started by Redhotsal, January 29, 2017, 01:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhotsal

I'm sure that many of you will know Diana East - she was one of the pioneers of Glass Bead Making in the United Kingdom. Sadly, her husband Dave let me know that she has passed on early this morning.

I know that many of us were introduced to the glassy world by Di, many of us enjoyed spending time in the Old Dairy in Enderby with Di and Dave, and all of us were constantly amazed by her talent, her kindness, her optimism, her friendship and wonderful human spirit.  She had been ill for some time with cancer which got worse over the last few weeks.

I will let people know about arrangement as I get them.

Sally Carver

Rascal

Such sad news, she was one of the first lampworkers that inspired me when I started. Thinking of all her friends and family. X

mizgeorge

Gutted :(
Di was an inspiration to so many, both personally and professionally. She will be sadly missed by her many, many friends and by the wider glass and jewellery community. Her talents were awe-inspiring, but it is her sheer loveliness that will stay with so many of us.

A new star will be in the sky this evening.

julieHB

I have no words  :'( Di will be missed by so many, all over the world!!
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

Margram

I'm really saddened to know that we have lost Di. She inspired so many of us and was just a gorgeous person. I've lit a candle in my studio and I've also lit my torch :'(
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

Moira HFG

Very sad news.
I'd like to share this: years ago, soon after Di taught me lampwork - believe me, it's fortunate she was so patient - I made this necklace with a lovely focal of hers, and two of my beginner's blobs. When I showed her, she said 'Oh! I love a collaboration!' So typical of her generous spirit to call it that. I shall miss her terribly.

I would love to see other people's pictures of her marvellous work, and memories of her.

Moira

Redhotsal

I have a memory of Di being chucked out of her own studio by a visiting artist for making too much racket at the back when she was entertaining my daughter Emily, who must have been about 12 then. They were boiling up some friendly plastic and just generally having fun before being unceremoniously turfed out. She wasn't at all put out - they just found something else to do in the flat. Loved Di for her child-like enthusiasm, generosity, optimism and love of life.  Can't believe she's gone.  :'(

And yes, Moira - she would have seen your necklace in that way. She was the best teacher - utterly ego-less and and totally encouraging. :)

flame n fuse

Oh, so sad. She was a very talented lady.

Lynnybobs

What heartbreaking news  :'(
I was fortunate to have had a few lessons with Di at the Old Dairy and she was the most wonderfully talented, inspirational and warm hearted person.
The lampworking community had indeed lost one its true greats.
I shall treasure the beads I made with her.

Sal - please pass on my sincere condolences to her family if you are in contact.

Lynnybobs
----x----

tuffnell glass

Such a sad moment.
Having know Di for over 20 years she always had a smile and laugh for you whenever you bumped into her

Martin
Tuffnell Glass

tuffnellglass@yahoo.co.uk
www.tuffnellglass.com
www.flameoff.co.uk

Aruala

Sad news. I only met her a couple of times - I attended a course with Jennie L in Di's studio, she was in and out seeing what we were up to, and she kindly let me hire some torch time as I was in rented accommodation with nowhere to practice. Despite not being that well at the time, she was cheerful and chatty. This weekend I was working on the swirl techniques I learnt in her studio with Jennie...

Steampunkglass

Such sad news, she was such a lovely lady and will be very much missed

Shirl

So sorry to hear this , l know she will be missed

tuffnell glass

Hi ,
       Does anybody know if there a specific charity we can donate too in Dis memory?

Yours Sincerely,

Martin
Tuffnell Glass

tuffnellglass@yahoo.co.uk
www.tuffnellglass.com
www.flameoff.co.uk

Margram

Hi Martin - info here re obituary, funeral, reception and donations https://www.funeralzone.co.uk/obituaries/26963
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog