mould release agent and slumping question.

Started by Jules1971, January 15, 2017, 10:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jules1971

Hi Guys hope you can help me on this.

so i have bought a few moulds and one of them is a frog mould cot de vere

as i would probably not use it for putting frit in it as it is designed i would like to drill a few breather holes to use for slumping the small green beer bottles and turning into a paper weight that still the outer edges of the bottle as i think it would look rather cool.

i think it would be ok to drill breather what do you guys think?

next i have tried to put kiln wash but it is so streaky it looks terrible is there a spray/aerosol based alternative that i could use for this application.

thanks in advance.

flame n fuse

Hi, on the simple moulds that I use for slumping I use 3 or 4 coats of kiln wash, brushed in different directions.
I visit a fb page (fusers of cpi), where there are many complicated pate de verre moulds and notice that people talk about using zyp spray which is boron nitride.
I think there is more info about this on the creative paradise website.
Drilling - should be ok but go slowly!

GorgeousGlassGifts

Hi Jules.
Regular batt wash (such as Bullseye shelf primer) is ideal for ceramic moulds. It should have the consistency of full cream milk & you need to stir it between coats, as it settles out. As Flame n fuse has said, apply each coat in a different direction, using a haik brush. I use 5 or 6 coats on a new mould and typically 4 coats when recoating a mould.

If you want to drill a hole in a ceramic mould, I'd suggest using a tile bit if you can find one small enough, & then kilnwashing the mould afterwards.

Boron nitride is a lot more expensive than kilnwash, but comes into its own on metal moulds, to which kilnwash doesn't readily stick.

Let us know how you get on! 

Jules1971

Sorry for the long time in replying. In the end went for boron nitride as im pretty paint spraying and i got a better finish. Although for moulds flatter in nature i use kiln wash and sand it down due to it being a lot cheaper.