Smith's Little Torch on oxycon

Started by Fluffstar, December 12, 2016, 06:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fluffstar

Hello all,

I was wondering if someone who's been using their Smith's torch for a while could help.  I've been told that back-pressure on oxycons is very bad for them, so I'm slightly concerned that running my oxycon at 1 - 1.5LPM is causing it damage (I've adjusted the main pressure nozzle thingy on the body of the oxycon so it maxes out at 1.5).  I'm looking for a bit of reassurance that I'm not killing my oxycon by running it low?  I understand you can run a little torch on a weeny oxygen bottle but I don't fancy faffing about with another regulator etc.  Is there a guide on oxycon best-practise out there?  I know I can send it to Yorkshire for a R&R retreat... but obviously, I'd like to avoid that for financial reasons for a while yet.

Thanks so much for any help anyone can give me! 
Kathy

Moira HFG

I'm not familiar with the torch situation, I'm more familiar with medical oxys.

So - speaking generally, the oxy shouldn't mind a low flow setting on the oxy itself, but it is designed to vent to atmosphere, not find itself stopped by a knob on a torch! I think if you turn it off when you don't need it, rather than leave it running with the O2 turned off at the torch, you should be ok. If you hear it straining, or it starts getting hot, turn it off for a rest. (NB it may be hard to hear with a ventilation fan on)

Fluffstar

=) Thanks Moira, that makes sense. 
Kathy

Shirley

On a lampwork torch it's common practice to leave the oxy valve open on the torch itself. I only close it to light the torch. Leave it open when oxycon is off too so all oxygen can escape. Works for me, so should be ok for Smiths. You could always call Your supplier and ask. Tuffnell Glass?
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Fluffstar

Quote from: Shirley on December 13, 2016, 11:03:48 AM
On a lampwork torch it's common practice to leave the oxy valve open on the torch itself. I only close it to light the torch. Leave it open when oxycon is off too so all oxygen can escape.

You're right, I do this on my lampwork torch and I think this is the way forward, it's just more the on-off-on-off nature of brazing rather than torching which is long sessions at a time... I know oxy's don't like being turned on and off a lot either.  I guess as long as my extraction's running, the oxygen flow won't build up inside the shed and explode the next time I light it! =)
Kathy