Frit-Happens !
December 12, 2017, 02:54:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
your ad here
News:
Where are you?? Add yourself to the NEW FHF map here  | On flickr? Join our Frit Happens group: here

VISIT THE WIKI HERE
Get FH Status updates via twitter @FritHappens

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
A Flame with Desire
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Soap Making (course at the Old Kennels)  (Read 869 times)
Charli
Forum Member

« on: October 14, 2016, 07:56:20 PM »

So this wasn't a hobby before the course, but certainly will be afterwards!

Went to the Old Kennels in Devon for both a Beginners and Intermediate cold process soap making course, with the theme of 'Time for Tea'.

First day we made a loaf of natural soap

And the next two days we got more complicated and made soap biscuits (including making our own silicone moulds), cake and cupcakes.

It was so much fun! Basic soapmaking isn't difficult but it was nice to connect with like-minded people, and to ask questions of the teacher, Ish of Puro Soaps (she is a mine of useful information!). We played with moderately dangerous chemicals, got to try out loads of colours and scents, and learnt loads of new techniques.

I promise they're all soap!

And now the soap is curing and my house smells amazing.

I've made some purchases to make more soap at home.
ruth
Forum Member

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 09:37:35 AM »

They look amazing.
I have some little soap sweets in a dish on the windowledge. They were a gift from Nick. I think she made them at The Kennels as well.
Ruth

Frittering the children's inheritance.
JanieD
Forum Member

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 09:59:44 AM »

Love the cake slices, and the little biscuits look great too. The cupcakes are so realistic with the swirls on.

This sort of thing baffles my other half - he thinks soap should come in bars, not biscuits!

I had a brief foray into melt and pour soapmaking a couple of years ago, made some lavender soaps, but nothing as awesome as these Smiley

Jane

Nicknack
Forum Member

To bead, or not to bead? ..... stupid question!

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 12:31:51 PM »

Hi Charli, it was nice to meet you on the class!  My soap smells amazing, but it's in my workshop at the moment.  I've only got 3 cupcakes left (apart from the cake and biscuits) because I took them all to show Megan at Warm Glass the day after we made them, and ended up giving a cupcake each to Megan, Becky, and the other 7 people on the course there.  They all thought they were edible!  I think your biscuits are better than mine, and the cake and cupcakes look brilliant - so lifelike. Cheesy

Yes, Ruth, I did make the sweets there.  I'll have to keep you a cupcake of piece of cake for next time I see you.  Why don't you use the sweets, that's what they're for?!

It was great fun making the cakes etc., swirling with the piping bag as quickly as possible before the soap went solid!

Nick x
ruth
Forum Member

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 08:42:35 AM »

Hi Nick.  Nice to hear from you. You ask why I don't use the soap sweets?  Because they are cute, a source of comment and a reminder of the friend who made them.

Ruth

Frittering the children's inheritance.
Nicknack
Forum Member

To bead, or not to bead? ..... stupid question!

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 10:18:25 AM »

Aaah, thanks!  I'll pm you soon, life is taking over at the mo........

Nick xx
julieHB
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 05:44:22 PM »

Your soap looks amazing - sounds fun!  Smiley

Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr
Lynnybobs
Forum Member

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 09:04:09 AM »

Wow these are amazing - so realistic ! Would love to have a go at this but fear it would become yet another hobby I don't have time to do  Wink

Lynnybobs
----x----
Rascal
Forum Member

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 10:15:37 PM »

Wow, they look amazing. I genuinely thought they were actual cakes and biscuits!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: