Frit-Happens !
December 09, 2019, 06:28:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
your ad here
News:
Where are you?? Add yourself to the NEW FHF map here  | On flickr? Join our Frit Happens group: here

VISIT THE WIKI HERE
Get FH Status updates via twitter @FritHappens

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Frit and microwave oven kiln  (Read 1226 times)
Elena
« on: September 10, 2016, 04:05:32 PM »

I'm new to glass. I'd like to try something without having to buy a kiln right away. Will one of those "microwave kilns" work with frit and frit molds???
anditsinthefish
Forum Member

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 03:23:17 AM »

I think they purely work for fusing, you may struggle to get it to do a mould firing - buts it always worth a go if you are prepared to lose the mould.

Also the space to put the glass is really small, its ideal for jewellery. What mould are you thinking of using?

I have a hot pot microwave kiln for sale, if you are looking to try one Smiley

Sarah xx
Website. Blog. Flickr.
Nicknack
Forum Member

To bead, or not to bead? ..... stupid question!

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 06:55:53 AM »

As Sarah says, the space available i the microwave kilns is pretty small.  I started with one, and they work fine for making jewellery, but, unless the mould is only about 2 inches across it won't fit.  One piece of advice - if you're making earrings in a hotpot, make them both at once, or they won't match.

Nick
GorgeousGlassGifts
New Forum Member

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 06:17:22 PM »

Also bear in mind that there's no facility to anneal when you use a microwave kiln, so whatever you make, keep it small...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: