Copper conductive paint not drying?

Started by powerjen, June 05, 2016, 07:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

powerjen

I have just bought some copper conductive paint from Technical Supermarket (someone on here recommended them).  So I got the 20g and the thinning solution and the cleaner. It was for electroforming natural objects and glass. (It says on their website it can be used for plant matter etc).

Merrily applied it to the piece (shell which had been lacquered with acrylic varnish to protect it), but the paint never dried. It says it should be dry in an hour on the spec on the website and recoatable after 20 mins. It was a hot(ish) day when I did it, but it's still not set and it's not set on anything else I've tried it on either - varnished or not.  The non stick metal baking sheet I use to paint on has the copper paint left on it and that's not dried.  The company said I must be putting it on something that it won't dry on and to use silver paint instead... I've replied back asking for more info but get no reply. I've used graphite ink from SPA Plating very successfully in the past and have no idea why this won't seem to dry on anything (not even my fingers).

Can someone please help me? Has anyone used this before and has it dried? I wonder if I have a dodgy batch as the person who replied to my email seemed surprised it hadn't dried.

Thanks so much
Jen

mizgeorge

Hi Jen,
I haven't come across this problem either. However, I have found the guys at TS pretty helpful (if a little lacking in English). I think I would probably be looking to return it and ask them to have a look at what might be the issue.

powerjen

Thanks for the reply, I'm at a loss to know what's going on with it and I've remailed the guys at Tech Supermarket in the hope they'll get back to me again rather than just say maybe it's what I'm putting it on and try the silver stuff instead.  I'll let you know if I get anywhere.

Feel my fingers have been slightly burned and maybe I should have just bitten the bullet and gone back to SPA plating and bought the expensive stuff! :(