At which point/temp can a kiln be opened

Started by Flowers, July 05, 2016, 08:21:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flowers

Hi i have not had a kiln before but now am getting to grips with my new Hobbyfuser 3 and I find that a fuse or a slump or a tack takes approx 24 hours before I can open the kiln.  If I put the kiln on at say 10am it is ready to open at 10am the next day etc I wondered whether it is possible to open the kiln sooner.  I usually open the kiln when the temp has dropped to about 39 degrees as I am scared of opening it when it is hot for fear of cracking the glass and this is always around 24 hours later but is it possible to do this and if so at what temp is it safe to open the kiln?  I live in a hot country the room temp is usually around 30 degrees.
Thank you for advice

Moira HFG

Personally I wait for it to drop to room temperature.
After all that time and trouble - why risk a cracked piece for the sake of a couple of hours? I work on something else, and put the kiln out of my mind.

flame n fuse

Once the temp is down to 100, you could open the lid by 0.5 cm to speed it up a bit

Flowers

Dragonfire Glass

tuffnell glass

Hi,
   I open mine at about 40 but often don't worry too much as there is only my rubbish in it  ;D ;D ;D

Best wishes ,

martin
Tuffnell Glass

tuffnellglass@yahoo.co.uk
www.tuffnellglass.com
www.flameoff.co.uk

spexy

Sharon Peters told me that Craig Milliron said you can open the kiln at 350F which is 176C. She's been doing that for 20 years with no problems.