Making a funky bird how to attach the wire and what wire to use?

Started by Flowers, June 14, 2016, 06:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flowers

Hello
I have seen a lot of really quirky fused glass birds and thought I would have a go at making one for my niece.  I haven't used wire inclusions before and I am not sure how to attach the wire onto the bird so that the legs can dangle out below.  First of all what sort of wire is safe to use and can I get different coloured wires to use with glass? Also would I need to have a clear glass top layer? 
If anyone knows of a a good tutorial for this or can advise me as to the best way to do this I would be delighted.
Thank you

anditsinthefish

I have done one or two, I use copper wire (not that from an electric store - as this tends to be coated). I'm not sure about coloured wire as most coloured wire is usually coated and I would expect it to burn off in a firing. Copper tends to come out black but can be cleaned up, another option is steel.

I have found it needs to be encased between two layers, if placed under just one layer I find it can pop away once fired. I also found that putting some thick fiber paper under the wire supports it and holds it level with the first layer of glass.

Sarah xx

Sarah xx
Website. Blog. Flickr.

Flowers

Thank you Sarah that is a big help I will try putting copper wire between two layers of glass and see how it goes

Fluffstar

You can also use nichrome (get it from wires.co.uk) which is high-temperature wire, if you want the final result to be silver not copper.  Both end up having oxidation on the surface from the kiln and will look black/brown and be very soft.  You can buff off the oxidation with some old fine sandpaper, if you don't mind the final wire having a 'satin' rather than a shiny finish :)
Kathy

Flowers

Great idea and thank you for the link for where to order  :)