Are there other ways to prime a mould

Started by Flowers, April 29, 2016, 01:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flowers

Hi all

I have finally bitten the bullet and decided to start using my kiln I am new to glass fusing apart from some classes at school and I wonder if I could get some advice please.
Today I primed my kiln shelf with one past powder to 5 parts water which I sprayed on to the shelf in 5 times in 5 different directions but I also wanted to prepare some ceramic moulds and I did the same as above but because they were not flat I resorted to using a paint brush.  The moulds are covered but do look streaky.

I wanted to know if there is another way to prepare a mould for example is it possible to use shelf paper on top of a mould and then lie the glass for fusing over the top?  Or is it necessary to use shelf primer wash?

Also can I then leave the kiln shelf and moulds outside to dry it is very hot where I live or do they need to be heated in the kiln?

Thank you so much for any help :-)

Zeldazog

Quote from: Flowers on April 29, 2016, 01:24:59 PM
Today I primed my kiln shelf with one past powder to 5 parts water which I sprayed on to the shelf in 5 times in 5 different directions but I also wanted to prepare some ceramic moulds and I did the same as above but because they were not flat I resorted to using a paint brush.  The moulds are covered but do look streaky.

I wanted to know if there is another way to prepare a mould for example is it possible to use shelf paper on top of a mould and then lie the glass for fusing over the top?  Or is it necessary to use shelf primer wash?

Little confused as to how you can spray in five directions, but hey ho  ;D (that instruction normally applies to brush application).

If you've got brush strokes on your mould (or indeed your shelf), when it's absolutely dry, you can gently rub the surface to remove the brush strokes.  I usually roll up a bit of kitchen roll, making sure I use a 'domed' bit so no sharp edges, or place it against the rounds of my fingertips, and use a gentle circular motion.  I believe one way to do this is with a piece of stocking/old tights.   You can eliminate all the brush strokes this way - wear a dust mask.

I wouldn't use shelf paper to like a mould as it cannot conform to the shape - so you'd either get crease marks (which will show) or lumps of shelf paper as it does turn do dust at some point, not sure when.

Quote from: Flowers on April 29, 2016, 01:24:59 PM
Also can I then leave the kiln shelf and moulds outside to dry it is very hot where I live or do they need to be heated in the kiln?

Yes you can, so long as the shelf is  fully dry.  I place my shelves near the wood burner at the studio, dries them beautifully.