A Bead Door or Not?

Started by SueP, January 06, 2008, 10:26:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stacy

Sorry, that was a bit waffley, i'm feeling a bit rubbish (think it might sinistitus) and am not thinking straight. Think i'm off to bed!

Sarah

I have a bead door and the fusing is uneven. It was OK at first but once I started to make more beads and use the bead door more it became uneven - I think its because the hinges slacken with use so the fit isn't so tight but that's just a guess.

When I'm fusing I close the bead door and stuff the area behind it with a kiln fibre blanket which helps a lot. But it does limit you to small pieces at the back of the kiln.

To be honest if you want to make bigger beads and fuse it will always be a compromise. You should work what your primary interest is and then accept the compromise on your secondary interest. Or buy two kilns  ;)

Shirley

I've got an SC2B and i love it. I usually batch anneal, and can get loads in that way, but it's good to have the option of being able to anneal as I go too. I've got several lentil presses and I find the beads crack if they don't go straight into the kiln. It's not just about larger or pressed beads cracking though, as I've found that some silvered beads can crack easily, especially when encased.

I'd say go for the bead door, and just remember that even if you decide later you need a different kiln, you would have a really good chance of selling a fairly new Paragon on, probably through this or another forum.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Josephine

I would go for a bead door. I always anneal as I go along. As for opening the door to put in a bead, the catch is a bit stiff and I tend to put the other hand on the top of the kiln when I pull open the door, not easy to do if you are holding a hot bead on a mandrel.

julieHB

Hi,
I started fusing (mainly jewellery) 3 years ago and bought a Paragon SC2 without the bead door.

Just over a week ago I went to a meet with some of the lovely ladies on here, saw them making some amazing beads, and after a few days in bead fever I ordered the beadmaker start kit from Tuffnell Glass (yeah, I know, there slipped my little secret...  ::))

Only got the kit last Thursday, and I have only had time to make about 20 wonky little beads so far d/t family commitments.  I was thinking of getting the stuff so I could batch anneal, but thought, hey, why don't I just shorten those mandrels a bit so they fit into my kiln.... after all, mandrels don't cost that much  ;D  ;D

So far so good, haven't had a cracked one yet (my beads are not that big yet, though, and haven't tried to press one flat either).  But I don't find that it takes such a long time to open the door and poke the shorter mandrels in.  I expect I would need longer mandrels for bigger beads, but I think I shall be practising the basic round ones for a while...  :)

Anyway, a bead door doesn't cost that much, although there is a huge variation in price, from £125 something on the Paragon site to £50 on another place I saw (can't remember which) and then this : http://www.artclaysupplies.co.uk/show_ac.php?mc=firing&sc=&pg=1 where it costs £20.

So, as you see, there are many options. Good luck with your decision making!!  :)

Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

Sal

Quote from: julieHB on March 17, 2008, 04:28:39 PM

Just over a week ago I went to a meet with some of the lovely ladies on here, saw them making some amazing beads, and after a few days in bead fever I ordered the beadmaker start kit from Tuffnell Glass (yeah, I know, there slipped my little secret...  ::))

Only got the kit last Thursday, and I have only had time to make about 20 wonky little beads so far d/t family commitments.  I was thinking of getting the stuff so I could batch anneal, but thought, hey, why don't I just shorten those mandrels a bit so they fit into my kiln.... after all, mandrels don't cost that much  ;D  ;D

Ha ha! I knew we'd turn her over to the beady side  ;D ;D Where are the pictures!?

julieHB

Sal...I knew one of you would be noticing and asking for pics!!!  :D  There is not one on this forum who has any interest in seeing my pathetic little beginners plonks, OK??  ;D

Now you know there is someone else in the neighbourhood who will be able to anneal your lovely beadies..... ;) I have studied the different annealing programs and have it all sorted whether it's on the go or batch.

I did consider to not tell DH about my investment, as my workshop is full of glass, silver and various tools anyway.  He doesn't know that glass have varying COE's and is therefore not necessarily compatable, so one has to buy more....but decided to come clean; especially since I'd like his help to make a hole in the wall enabling me to put the propane outside..... He just sighed and rolled his eyes (that's in my imagination, he's offshore Africa at the mo) and asked if I was going to sell something soon. The last two days I have given away 4 different pieces of jewellery for birthday presents, surely saving buying something must count for something???  ;)
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

Sal

Of course we want to see them! Definately think that making birthday presents counts!  ;D

julieHB

Sal, what are you doing on the computer??  Haven't you got the pool ready yet?  How are you?

(I'm really sorry for straying from the topic on kiln doors, but Sal is having a baby  :o )
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

Sal

Gives me something to do-just about to have a shower then put on my TENS machine then probably ought to fill a pool  ::)  ;D

Josephine

Julie, we got you hooked! Why am I not surprised, how could you resist once you'd had the chance to play with hot glass. Can't wait to see what you do.

SueP

This thread seems to have revived - just to say I got the SC2 with the door and have been happily batch annealing for a while now but will be moving it out to the shed so I can poke 'em in (is that a technical term) as I go soon

;D ;D