is my flame too big

Started by shelly, May 25, 2016, 08:15:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelly

Hi

I have been lampworking for a while but have recently moved my work area and am getting very hot face and sore throat, what sort of size should my torch flame be, i dont mean neutral or reducing as i understand that side of things but just the length i should be working in a neutral flame,  I am investigating my ventilation but seems fine and have done the smoke test, but am worried as i seem to be getting headachs and my face feels slightly sunburnt, might have nothing to do with my lampwork of course but am worried that I am making myself ill somehow.

any advice would be appreciated.

tuffnell glass

Hi,

Which torch are you working with ?

Best wishes,

Martin
Tuffnell Glass

tuffnellglass@yahoo.co.uk
www.tuffnellglass.com
www.flameoff.co.uk

lampworklover

My first question would have been what sort of ventilation system do you have, but since you've checked that it shouldn't be the culprit. (Do you have a good source of fresh air to replace the air that is being extracted?

If you could let us know which torch you have, possibly with a picture of it set up  and lit, i'm sure that someone will be able to help.

flame n fuse

some photos and more detail would be good. My face gets a bit 'sunburnt' when I haven't torched for a while. I would tend to think that something about your ventilation has changed. One stormy day when I didn't want the window open I tried torching without the fan on and it was bad - my face swelled below my eyes.
Also is your change in workspace making your face closer to the flame than it used to be?

Steampunkglass

I am not sure that flame length is really something there is a set length for, I am constantly changing the amount of oxygen and propane to alter from reducing and neutral flames, and also from a small flame for delicate work to a really large flame for more 'heavy duty' working - although I'm not a bead maker so maybe it's not as relevant  :-\ Having said that the only time I've had the 'sore throat' affect was when my ventilation wasn't working too well, or when I was using a hot head with map gas. You could try sunblock for your face and hands as I understand some UV can be given off

shelly

Thankyou for all your answears, here are some pics,  i am using a nortel minor torch sorry about picture size am trying to work out how to shrink them

tuffnell glass

Hi,
     Personally I would position the extraction hood slightly higher as the flame will be heading towards the top of the hood and the nasty stuff will be rising with the heat so I would have it higher to catch the fumes. I would also have more hose between the hood and fan as you have the flame so close to the extraction hood you could be extracting too much heat and if the fan is that close then the heat will damage the fans blades which are made of plastic.

Best wishes,
Martin
Tuffnell Glass

www.tuffnellglass.com
www.flameoff.co.uk

shelly

Thankyou Martin

I was worried about sighting it too far away as thought that would reduce amount of suction?  Would it be better to have the hood above the torch facing down in that case a bit like a cooker hood does?

tuffnell glass

HI,
   Yes I would

martin

www.tuffnellglass.com
www.flameoff.co.uk

shelly

great thankyou, time for some redesigning then