Making a glass panel

Started by sandmor1, November 30, 2017, 07:59:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandmor1

Hello
I would like a some advice on making a 250 x180cm wall panel.
I want several of the parts to be raised but edges slightly rounded.
Would it be best to full full all these component parts separately and then tack fuse them together or is there another better way to do this?
Thank you
Sandra

Nicknack

You could contour fuse. This is a temperature about half way between tack fuse and full fuse. You may have to experiment, as each kiln is different, and also the glass you use. Hope that helps, and have fun.

Nick

flame n fuse

It's a big panel! I agree with Nicknack that you should experiment first. Have you read Bullseye tech note Heat and Glass, which goes into detail about what happens at different temperatures? https://www.bullseyeglass.com/methods-ideas/technotes-4-heat-a-glass.html
If you are making a piece with variable thickness you'll need to go very slow on the ramping as the thinner parts will heat and cool more quickly than the thicker parts.

sandmor1

Thank you for the replies.....that is very useful and I had not even considered  a contour fuse. I will make a half size version and experiment with that.
Sandra

silkworm

That is big! If you are using float maybe look at the Fun with Float page of facebook, it has lots of very useful information.
Mary
Mary

chas

Quote from: sandmor1 on November 30, 2017, 07:59:03 AM
Hello
I would like a some advice on making a 250 x180cm wall panel.
I want several of the parts to be raised but edges slightly rounded.
Would it be best to full full all these component parts separately and then tack fuse them together or is there another better way to do this?
Thank you
Sandra

Hi Sandra, interesting, ambitious project... how are you going to tack fuse the smaller panels together to make one panel 250 x 180 cm?

Chas

sandmor1

Hi Chas...no sorry..the additional parts will be applied on top.
Haven't got around to starting this yet. Christmas has got in the way also I have plans to rearrange my studio early in the New Year. Probably get started on it in February.
Sandra.