? could i use this as a fusing/slumping mold?

Started by bubblebabeuk, January 07, 2007, 07:56:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bubblebabeuk

I was just browsing various on-line shops selling the Molds for using in glass slumping/fusing etc.
I happened to notice they seem identical to the blank pieces available in my local pottery painting place! even the same shapes!
does anyone know if I could use the pottery blanks as molds? or is it all totaly different stuff its made from? I only thought of this as i was in the pottery painting shop yesterday painint bowls with the sprog! and it occurred to me they look pretty damn similar! I don't own any real glass molds so I can't even compare them on my own! the pottery blanks are obviously kiln fired but not decorated or coated in a glaze at all, just ready for painting...........

handmadeheaven.biz

I found this on warm glass (but I will post your question to see if it would be okay):

"CLAY MOLDS

Pottery clay can make excellent, long lasting molds. Clay is also inexpensive and widely available. If you buy a commercially manufactured mold, it should be good for dozens of firings. You'll just need to make certain you cover it well with kiln wash before using it the first time. Although some people advocate applying up to ten coats, just four coats with a haike or similar brush should suffice. Just brush on one coat in each compass direction. Reapply kiln wash when the previous application starts wearing thin.

Also, be aware that slumping inside the clay mold works best. Since clay shrinks less than glass (has a lower COE), slumping over the outside of a clay mold can sometimes cause the glass to crack as the mold cools.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you may need to slow down the rate of temperature change at around 1050 degrees Fahrenheit. This point, know as the "quartz inversion" temperature, is where clays tend to change the most in volume. Avoiding extreme temperature changes at this point helps reduce the likelihood of cracking the mold."

xtweeksx

Might be interesting having a go at making some! Sure my kiln does ceramics and I happen to have some clay :)

Another on my list of to do at somepoint!!

Can you use metal?

jenx

handmadeheaven.biz

yes, stainless steel, but it needs to have a couple of air holes in the base. i have an example of a wok being used in one of my books!

shafeenan

Did you try the pottery painting workshop ceramics/pottery? and did they work?
thanks

Zeldazog

Quote from: shafeenan on October 03, 2015, 01:04:33 PM
Did you try the pottery painting workshop ceramics/pottery? and did they work?
thanks

This thread is over eight years old and none of the posters are still members of FHF (their names are black and it says they are a guest, which means they've left.

Nicknack

I know Hazel on FH makes some of her own moulds in ceramics.

Nick

shafeenan

Ah, didn't notice that it was so old - seemed like such a good idea!  I was looking to find out whether I need to prefire my new snowflake mould having kiln-washed it!
Can anyone tell me?> Thanks

Nicknack

No, I don't think so. Little moulds are fine, it's just really big ones that need prefiring, as far as I can see. I certainly didn't with my snowflake moulds.

Nick

anditsinthefish

Quote from: shafeenan on October 11, 2015, 10:33:04 AM
Ah, didn't notice that it was so old - seemed like such a good idea!  I was looking to find out whether I need to prefire my new snowflake mould having kiln-washed it!
Can anyone tell me?> Thanks

I didn't prefire mine.
Sarah xx
Website. Blog. Flickr.

shafeenan

Thaks guys - sorry for delay in saying so - have not had time to work wit my kiln for rather too long!