Overheating warning

Started by myrica, February 01, 2016, 10:48:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myrica

My ventilation system started making a horrible noise as I was working. On taking it apart, the fan blade section seemed to have fallen off the shaft. I fixed it with Gorilla glue and left it for a day to harden. It now seems to work fine. However, I've taken it as a sign that the system is getting too hot and reading other threads here it seems very likely. I'm going to move the funnel back from the torch and then do the incense stick test to make sure it is still catching all the fumes.

Just thought I'd write up what happened in case others have the same problem; a horrible ventilation noise needs looking at but might not be mean a new fan (as I was pleased to find out).

flame n fuse

thanks for the warning. Do you have the fan immediately above the funnel, or further along the trunking?

oliver90owner

A simple avoidance option would be to fit a temperature measuring device in the ducting.

Cheap as chips if below 100 degrees Celsius from epay. And not much dearer if one needs an oven/food temperature probe - which might read up to a couple hundred Cesius or more.  Cost might depend on the max temperature rating for the fan used, but absolutely no need to risk melting your expensive fan.

RAB

tuffnell glass

Hi,
     It can be the positioning of the hood but also the length of hose between the hose and the fan . We supply 10mtrs of hose to allow at least 3-4 mtrs between the hood and fan which gives enough time for the extracted fumes to cool more before reaching the fan.

Best wishes,

Martin
Tuffnell Glass

tuffnellglass@yahoo.co.uk
www.tuffnellglass.com
www.flameoff.co.uk

myrica

You all make a lot of good points, thanks. :)

Here is my current set-up-

It's 15cm from the torch to the front of the funnel and 80cm from the back of the funnel to the fan.

I was thinking I couldn't move the fan further away as it's already at the ceiling of the room but of course, I could run the ducting round horizontally, to the left in this picture and shift the fan onto the other wall. That's the exterior wall so I could go straight out there. It would mean cutting a new hole in the metal shed or doubling back to where it currently exits at the bottom but it'll be worth it if I don't cook the fan. Good thinking you lot!

I've just started doing boro, so I've no doubt the problem was entirely operator error!

tuffnell glass

Hi,
   I would go for more hose between the hood and fan , even if like you say you made an extra loop to allow more cooling.

Best wishes,

Martin

tuffnellglass@yahoo.co.uk
www.tuffnellglass.com
www.flameoff.co.uk