Frit-Happens !
November 22, 2017, 01:44:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
your ad here
News:
Where are you?? Add yourself to the NEW FHF map here  | On flickr? Join our Frit Happens group: here

VISIT THE WIKI HERE
Get FH Status updates via twitter @FritHappens

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
by george
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Celtic Inspired Torc'  (Read 526 times)
Moira HFG
Half Full Glass
Forum Member

Ever the optimist

« on: October 08, 2015, 04:20:15 PM »

I was looking at the jewellery on the British Museum website to go with the Celts exhibition now on. Some of the stuff is very nice, but just look at this:

http://www.britishmuseumshoponline.org/invt/cmcn473540?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Beautiful%20jewellery%20inspired%20by%20Celtic%20art%20(UK-EU)&utm_content=&spMailingID=49729696&spUserID=ODM2OTMxOTQyNDQS1&spJobID=781099384&spReportId=NzgxMDk5Mzg0S0

Dear oh dear! I wouldn't call this 'museum quality'.

If it was made by a child in an African village using electrical wire and old pliers, as part of a rural crafts display, I would admire it's scratched rustic charm.
But a torc (as it says on the BM site) was a symbol of wealth and importance. And the Celts were master metal workers, just look at the 'Battersea Shield'! Surely they could have sourced something a bit more impressive, there's a wealth of competent metal workers in the UK.

Huh!  Huh

Rascal
Forum Member

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 05:15:52 PM »

I'm with you, that doesn't look like the quality I'd expect. it's very scratched when you do zoom in. So many more talented jewellery makers on here. Mind you, just because it's for sale doesn't mean someone will buy. I often think that for some of the things on Etsy.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 05:17:27 PM by Rascal » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: